Bit of a departure from the norm for me

The Home of any non Mini projects & discussion.
111Robin

Bit of a departure from the norm for me

Post by 111Robin »

Well I was desperately in need of a project to work on. I eventually sold my Mini 30 that I'd owned for nearly thirty years as it was the only car I never used, nor was likely to. So with the cash burning a hole i was on the lookout for something local and interesting. I have in the past had thoughts of one of these being a practical more everyday car but never looked at one in the flesh. I wouldn't have bothered looking at it but it had been in the same family from new and had good history. So breaking all of the rules having done next to no research on the marque I went for a look and was pleasantly surprised by its condition. Cosmetically it isn't brilliant but the chassis is sound, it's just had a new clutch, the compressions tested close to factory numbers and it hasn't been messed with. With all of the big boxes ticked and a bit of humming and hawing I took the plunge. I knew nothing about the Essex V6 having had no blue oval experience in the past but it's a simple and strong unit. From some research it seems that the camshaft timing gear is a weak point having nylon teeth so first job was to replace this with an all alloy gear. Now I'm just recommisssioning everything as it has barely been used in twenty years. Not sure if I'll keep it when finished, I just wanted something to work on, but it will be handy, I can throw the bike in the back with the seats folded down however it does like a drink so would be used sparingly. Compared with an early Mini you get a lot for your money so can't really go wrong, also they had the option of Dunlop D4 alloys (as per MGB V8) so given my addiction for restoring D1s I'll be getting a set and binning the gaudy ( but original) Wolfrace alloys. Wish me luck !

Image20210517_192414 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

Image20210517_192426-1 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

Image20210517_192530-1 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr
Polarsilver

Re: Bit of a departure from the norm for me

Post by Polarsilver »

I had one of the early model many years ago.. was unfortunate that it became a 3 wheel Reliant when a front stub axle sheared off..otherwise a good comfortable car
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

Always liked the look of them. The colours are the fawn and brown of MG too. My friend had one until a bus crashed through some railings in Newbury and landed on it. Insurance said it was an act of god as the driver just keeled over and died for no apparent reason.
mgcm1598

Post by mgcm1598 »

Good choice Robin, loads of car for your money, practical, fast and stylish. I have a 1973 SE5A, dry stored since 1981, that I was given a few years ago. It's a project that'll need a small amount of chassis work, but it hasn't been messed with and is 100% complete. It'll be a while before I get to it, but could end up being a nice tow car for taking the mini to hillclimbs (previous owner towed his speedway bikes with it).

Hopefully the rest of the summer will offer some nice weather to let you get some use from your one.

Malcolm.

Edit - I might be interested in the Wolfrace wheels for my one.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

mgcm1598 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:43 am Good choice Robin, loads of car for your money, practical, fast and stylish. I have a 1973 SE5A, dry stored since 1981, that I was given a few years ago. It's a project that'll need a small amount of chassis work, but it hasn't been messed with and is 100% complete. It'll be a while before I get to it, but could end up being a nice tow car for taking the mini to hillclimbs (previous owner towed his speedway bikes with it).

Hopefully the rest of the summer will offer some nice weather to let you get some use from your one.

Malcolm.

Edit - I might be interested in the Wolfrace wheels for my one.
Hi Malcolm, I would have preferred an earlier model like yours to be honest, but this will keep me busy which was the main point. Once I get my hands on a set of the Dunlop composites I'll let you know as I wouldn't intend on holding onto the Wolfrace alloys,
Robin
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

I had the Dunlop wheels you refer to on my factory MGB GT V8. Dunlop told MG when they were contemplating what sort/type of wheels to fit on the powerful V8, that they were the strongest wheels that they had ever produced.

Nice choice of car Rob
JohnA
Location: Up north where men are men and sheep are frightened

Post by JohnA »

Love the Marina, Lotus, Range Rover door handles :lol:
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Peter Laidler wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:29 am I had the Dunlop wheels you refer to on my factory MGB GT V8. Dunlop told MG when they were contemplating what sort/type of wheels to fit on the powerful V8, that they were the strongest wheels that they had ever produced
Nice choice of car Rob
Thanks Peter,
I hadn't realised before that these were composite wheels, ie. steel rim with alloy centres. Infact I didn't even know they were Dunlop D series wheels, I thought they were unique to the MGB V8.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

JohnA wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:05 am Love the Marina, Lotus, Range Rover door handles :lol:
It's definitely a parts bin special, Ford, Lucas, BL, Triumph amongst others. Good enough for Chapman............ :D
hicklingmick

Post by hicklingmick »

In my earlier yrs we got 2 hrs to do a PDI on a Peugeot.

We got 5 hrs for the Scimitar.

That time was needed to stop water entry thru doors and tailgate and rectify bad earth connections.