Bit of a departure from the norm for me

The Home of any non Mini projects & discussion.
111Robin

Re: Bit of a departure from the norm for me

Post by 111Robin »

Thanks Al, I had a word with them so will be dropping off with them when I have time, thanks for the lead. Blootered indeed, perhaps that's what i need to get to ease the pain of Lotus ownership :D
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Rattle can resto' complete, had to choose between satin and matt, chose satin but think I should have gone matt. Anyway it's done now and definitely an improvement. Engine to paint next then install the new harness. I have to decide if I am going to revert the headlamps to vacuum operation as they have been converted to function from an electric motor. I know the issues with the vac' system but originality is something I'd prefer. I do have the original vacuum units but they are badly corroded, plus I don't know if the chassis reservoir is vacuum tight. May stick with electric just now for expediency.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Congratulations!

You are the first man EVER to mention electrics on a Lotus for reliability! :lol:

I wonder if you could use Fuel tank sealant like the POR15 stuff on the chassis vacuum chamber?

Al
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

I'm sure some JB weld or similar putty would do if it has any pin holes. I'll test it to see but I think I'll keep the electric motor for now. It's pretty brutal, the whole car shakes when the lights pop up, I'm sure it can't be doing the mounting points much good, it needs to be geared differently I think. I don't know what the motor was originally fitted to.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Looking a lot tidier now, cam cover wrinkle next, new kitchen being fitted next week so no issues using the oven, almost as if it was planned :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Wrinkle finish on the cam cover worked out reasonably well although I couldn't fit it in the oven so just need to let it air dry, hopefully should be ok. Still have to tidy up the edges around the script.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Starting to look very much better though!

Al
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Thanks Al, certainly a lot happier with it now than when I first bought it. Trying to make it as close to OEM as possible (although Lotus seemed to vary how they arranged certain items making it quite difficult to determine what is actually correct), however as it was sold as a kit I guess there is no actual OEM for this car. Gradually undoing years of bodges.
Ronnie
Location: N/E England Where the SAND is GOLDEN and the sea is always COLD!!

Post by Ronnie »

They at least the sprint's were sold as a fully trimmed and wired bodyshell no work at all required apart from install the engine/transmission unit, differential unit (assembled), and the suspension. I doubt the plus two would of been any different.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

That is correct, fully assembled body ready to drop onto the chassis on the +2 also, so I guess there wasn't too much the buyer could change.