Bit of a departure from the norm for me

The Home of any non Mini projects & discussion.
Ronnie
Location: N/E England Where the SAND is GOLDEN and the sea is always COLD!!

Re: Bit of a departure from the norm for me

Post by Ronnie »

111Robin wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:38 pm That is correct, fully assembled body ready to drop onto the chassis on the +2 also, so I guess there wasn't too much the buyer could change.
No Robin backbone chassis was fitted the rear chapman struts also fitted (the sprint) came complete on a trailer only the wishbones to fit.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Thanks Ronnie, they did say you could build it in a weekend, minimum work required.
Ronnie
Location: N/E England Where the SAND is GOLDEN and the sea is always COLD!!

Post by Ronnie »

Lotus went as near as the law permitted as you can see, other kit builders you had to do wiring harness installation and god knows what else. :)
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Returning to kit form, front suspension and brake overhaul, much needed, doesn't look like anything has been touched for a long time. It will definitely need new springs and dampers along with all bushes, trunnions, ball joints etc. Better be worth it !.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

It will be. A newly rebuilt Lotus of that era will be an amazing thing to drive.

Al
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

I hope so, looking forward to scraping old paint from the chassis, fortunately the chassis is minimalist to say the least so shouldn't take long :)
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Carrying on with the front end rebuild, chassis is perfect, took ages to remove the old paint but fresh steel beneath fortunately (chassis was replaced some time ago but not sure when). The rear end will be a different story. It was converted from Rotoflex couplings to UJ shafts a long time ago but not with a bodged conversion from some other car. So I've sourced the relevant Rotoflex driveshaft components I need and will be converting back to stock. However I'll finish the front end before tackling this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Good work. You could almost say it's a Triumph! :lol:

Al
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Indeed, separated at birth :) . Almost identical to the Scimitar but everything so much lighter. The wishbones are just folded sheet compared with the heavy castings on the GTE. I was considering replacing them with modern tubular items but I can do this any time if needs be.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

yes, Scimitar is TR5/6 based, Lotus is generally Herald/ Spitfire / GT6 family, though the wishbones, whilst made the same as the triumph in folded steel are different in design.

I'm not sure the move to tubular is really necessary, is it?

Al