Bit of a departure from the norm for me

The Home of any non Mini projects & discussion.
111Robin

Re: Bit of a departure from the norm for me

Post by 111Robin »

Thanks. I do often think it looks better up in the air with the wheels off, it has a certain "spacecraft" look flying through the air. Fingers crossed it isn't a disappointment when I eventually get it on the road.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Rear brakes finally completed. The handbrake uses separate pads and is supposedly not very efficient given that it is operated by a straight pull "umbrella" type handle as opposed to a lever so I was surprised when set up that it requires so little effort on the pull handle to lock the wheels solid. The rest of this week has been spent on the wiring. I bought a new harness for the engine bay but it has proved impossible to integrate with the existing loom as it has been custom made so I've reverted to the original harness with some tidying required, should be fine, eventually. Once the brakes are bled I can then install the webbers and radiator then not too far away from getting it running. I plan to do the minimum required to make it road legal so I can put some miles on it before winter to enable me to determine the state of engine and transmission. If all is good I'll spend the winter on the interior trim and replacing the door hinge bushes, amongst other things on an ever growing list.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Finally got it running, still have to fettle the carburettors but close to getting it out for a road test. I'll deal with the radiator later, it doesn't leak but could do with a recore eventually. Having never driven it I'm keen to confirm all is good before digging in to the interior.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Finished off the engine bay finally, adjusted the Webbers, idling nicely so decided to take it for a short shakedown run to ensure steering, suspension and brakes were all good (everything double checked on the scissor lift so no issues foreseen). Then in "typical Lotus" fashion it let me down by starting to bog down and lose power then cut out completely. It would start but wouldn't take any throttle and stalled as soon as drive was taken up. First time ever I've had to be recovered in one of my old cars, not impressed. Managed to limp off the road onto a farm entrance before being picked up. It feels like fuel starvation. I'm completely new to Webbers so have some learning to do before trying to diagnose the issue. It could be the new fuel pump, aftermarket rubbish no doubt, but I kept the original so may just use that instead. A huge let down, I was really looking forward to the first run and I assumed that as I had paid handsomely to have the Webbers restored that they wouldn't be an issue. It may have nothing to do with them but as it's the only thing I didn't do myself I can only have suspicions, we'll see.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Turned out to be nothing more than a blockage in the (new) fuel line. I hooked up an SU electric pump with separate supply and it ran perfectly. As the mechanical pump is new I could only suspect the line so blew it through to the tank. When I had the tank out it was very clean inside but there must have been some crud hiding there. Anyway took it for a short drive and it appears to be fine now, pulling nicely through the gears. I'll pluck up courage to venture further tomorrow to fill it with E5 and give it a proper run. I also think an in line filter will be a good idea. Fingers crossed I can just drive it now until phase 2 work starts during the winter.
Old English White

Post by Old English White »

It does look fabulous! I do hope you'll start to get some pleasure from it now after all your hard work 8-)
I've always had a bit of a fancy for one myself.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Old English White wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:31 am It does look fabulous! I do hope you'll start to get some pleasure from it now after all your hard work 8-)
I've always had a bit of a fancy for one myself.
Unfortunately for me more pleasure is gained from the rebuild than driving however I will try to buck this trend with the Elan. If all is well with a few test drives I'll start on the more cosmetic items such as the interior plus I need to take the doors off to rebush the hinges but that can wait until winter.