Bit of a departure from the norm for me

The Home of any non Mini projects & discussion.
mgcm1598

Re: Bit of a departure from the norm for me

Post by mgcm1598 »

Thanks Robin.
snoopy64

Post by snoopy64 »

Hi Robin

I’ve lined up a lovely Bristol for you next :D

https://www.jcmotorwise.co.uk/classics- ... -for-sale/
Cheers

Kevin
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

I think that money pit would be a bottomless one........... requires someone far more brave than me to rescue that I'm afraid :)
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

What started out as a general tidying of the engine bay has (as usual) started to grow arms and legs. After rubbing down the grp I'll be filling a few redundant holes before repainting. For reassembly I'll be using rubber Rawlnuts for a tidier finish. These are used throughout the Elise for assembling parts to the grp so I'm bringing the Elan up to date with current Lotus methods although will be using metric fasteners. I need to have the radiator recored so if anyone knows where I can have this done in this neck of the woods it would be appreciated. It is the original Triumph radiator so would prefer to retain it if possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

Robin,
I love your car!
I too have grown to think the lines of a +2 are so much nicer than the S4 or Sprint, and the red is a super colour for it.
Much nicer than Lotus Kermit green!
I am super jealous!
Ed
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

PS Are you rebuilding the twink?
There seem to be lots of ways to marginally improve it, but I'm not sure how many are worth it!
There is a conversion to allow you to get to the water pump without removing the head, but also things to stop the pump from packing in in the first place!
You can also fit a (Pinto?? or some ford) crank and new pistons to boost the torque, etc, etc...
Everything seems readily available.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Thanks, I'm not touching the engine at the moment, it has very good compressions and no major oil or water leaks. Unfortunately I don't have any history of previous engine work but it has been apart at some point looking at the sealant extruded from all of the faces do I'm willing to take a punt and see how it goes. I'm just concentrating on reliability by replacing the wiring harness and refurbishing the cooling, fuel and ignition systems then a full steering, brake and suspension overhaul. IF I like it after all of this work I will consider a full repaint as it's covered in micro blisters from a previous respray but I'm not too fussed on the cosmetics as I want a car I'm not afraid to use.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Finished rubbing down the engine bay at last, what a PITA that was, almost back to ground zero. One of the previous owners had painted everything in the bay black, master cylinders, wiper motor, absolutely everything just blootered with the stuff. I could have just left it, obviously doesn't affect how it drives, but I'd never have been happy with it. Seems daft taking what was a driveable car and reducing it to a pile of parts but isn't that from where the enjoyment is derived ? (or do I just need to see a therapist ?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old English White

Post by Old English White »

Wow! You HAVE gone to town. It did look a mess though and as we all know, once you start - where do you finish :?
It'll look GREAT once you have got it completed though 8-)
And you DID want something to do.... :D
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Robin, basically everyone I know seems to have had their radiators done by Scotrad :lol: and not a bad word yet, so they seem to be my top tip

Also, excellent use of the word 'Blootered'.

Al