Mk1 Austin 1100 brake upgrade?

The Home of any non Mini projects & discussion.
Muhib

Re: Mk1 Austin 1100 brake upgrade?

Post by Muhib »

It’s been a while.

Watermelon brake pads going in!
EBC supplied spring clips were too wide. Luckily I had a set of these.

These shoddy spacers will be coming off before going on the road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K7LKvuobDA

Got her running! Runs smoothly after adjusting the jets

Just need to finish up the plumbing, install the throttle/choke cables and we’re pretty much there!
Rust never sleeps
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

Can I suggest that if you haven't filled the brake and clutch master cyls and bled the systems through that you start afresh with silicon brake/clutch fluid. That's the end of the paint damage and everything else to do with the drawbacks of standard fluid forever.

Good to see an 1100 being restored too.
Muhib

Post by Muhib »

Peter Laidler wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:32 pm Can I suggest that if you haven't filled the brake and clutch master cyls and bled the systems through that you start afresh with silicon brake/clutch fluid. That's the end of the paint damage and everything else to do with the drawbacks of standard fluid forever.

Good to see an 1100 being restored too.
Hi Peter!

I’ve looked into this but have heard horror stories of DOT 5 eating away at seals, even if new. There’s also success stories of people running DOT5 for years with no issues.

I haven’t filled them yet. However, I did use a mixture of dot 4 & red rubber grease when assembling the master cylinders would that be an issue?

Also, the only reputable brand that I can find it from is EBC. Do Castrol, Comma, etc. produce DOT5?

Cheers!
Rust never sleeps
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

Let me put your mind at rest re the horror stories. They are just that......, horror stories! I have been using AUTOMEC pale purple silicon brake fluid since I restored my S between '83 and '86 and in our modsports Midget before that.

And ask yourself this. Do you REALLY think that any silicon brake fluid manufacturer would sell brake fluid that was dangerous? The industry simply would not allow it. It's a bit like modern waterless engine coolants. Some will NEVER accept it, preferring to listen to the current crop of amateur chemists.

I always grease the rubber seals with red rubber grease regardless, especially when assembling brake components to store prior to assembling to car

Just my view of course as a bit part enthusiastic amateur engineering grad.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

It must be pointed out that AP have a very strict view on the use of Silicone fluid in their products.

They WIL NOT WARRANTY any of their products used with silicone fluid & DO NOT recommend its use.

M
Mark F
General dogsbody.
LoftyMk2

Post by LoftyMk2 »

Can't believe I've only just come across this thread!

Lovely progress, the engine looks a work of art, it's lovely to see cars getting the love they deserve.

Keep up the great work
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

Ah, yes Mark..... But the only thing it COULD affect is rubber as we already know that it has no effect on neoprene type materials. And it has been chemically tested beyond doubt to not affect natural rubber. To my knowledge MVEng students are regularly testing these things in their uni and tech college labs.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

tell that to the insurance assessor when something goes wrong, whether that is or isn't to do with a perished seal.

It seems like stating the obvious, but if a manufacturer says don't do X with our brake components, you don't do X, just in case. Brakes have a habit of helping not kill people (yourself or others)

yes, it might be fine, Peter. Yes, a braking system with non silicone brake fluid can have it's own problems, but if the manufacturer says 'NO', but an army of boffins say, at best, 'it'll probably be alright, in the circumstances we tested in a lab', you can be damn sure they won't say you should have done it if you ever needed them too!

The law Courts are where 'beyond (reasonable) doubt' gets tested, and if you are in the unfortunate position of being in one of them and up against the manufacturer telling you they say you shouldn't have done that, then all the boffins in the world in their Uni labs ain't going to help you that day.

I'd go with the manufacturer's recommendation and suitably regular changes of fluid. Keep yourself, and everyone else safe, in each and every sense of the word.

Al
jay weinstein

Post by jay weinstein »

Well said but I'm sure there's more to come
Muhib

Post by Muhib »

LoftyMk2 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:16 pm Can't believe I've only just come across this thread!

Lovely progress, the engine looks a work of art, it's lovely to see cars getting the love they deserve.

Keep up the great work
Thanks Lofty! Here's a before and after of the bay, still unfinished but it's almost there.

Rust never sleeps