Mk1 Austin 1100 brake upgrade?

The Home of any non Mini projects & discussion.
Muhib

Re: Mk1 Austin 1100 brake upgrade?

Post by Muhib »

Engine build is finally coming to an end. I’m really hoping the Sprite air cleaners will clear the bulkhead.

I'm at the point of installing the flywheel but before doing so, I was wondering if it's possible to install this oil seal shield found on later engines using the verto clutch system. I had seen someone use it on a pre-verto setup a while back but just wanted to confirm.

I've also sleeved most of the wires and was thinking of tying them together with string like so instead of using cable ties. I’ll get around to it once the engine is in.

Image Image
Rust never sleeps
Muhib

Post by Muhib »

Got a set of NOS master cylinders (still in original packing and wax coating) and replaced the seals after confirming the bores were in good shape. I didn’t like the look of the dull metal so decided to paint them in black epoxy and go over the lettering in copper and steel paint. I’ll just have to be careful when it comes to filling/topping up the fluid.

For some reason the base plate and mounting holes were different to the original brake master (maybe for a later model?). During a test fit, it became apparent that I would have to widen the holes a smidge to allow the studs to go through.

Rust never sleeps
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I use those DAM2821 on all my engines.

That wiring looks great.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
tedmcedd

Post by tedmcedd »

This all looks fantastic!

Not sure the sprite filters will fit?

What inlet manifold do you have?

Ed
Muhib

Post by Muhib »

mk1 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:03 am I use those DAM2821 on all my engines.

That wiring looks great.
Thanks Mark. Great to know it’s compatible.

It’s a bit of a rats nest at the moment and still need finish sleeving the rest of the stray wires. I will get to sorting that tomorrow after work.
Last edited by Muhib on Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rust never sleeps
Muhib

Post by Muhib »

tedmcedd wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:11 pm This all looks fantastic!

Not sure the sprite filters will fit?

What inlet manifold do you have?

Ed
Thanks Ed.

I currently have the carbs mated to a 12G1452 but also have a 12g299 which is slightly narrower. I understand these are off a Sprite which have the same 20 degree angle as the 1100 manifold.
Rust never sleeps
Muhib

Post by Muhib »

With the help of my brother’s, the engine is in! The oil filter housing is loosely fitted as I still need to install the gasket. I only have the near side engine mounts bolted up for now which explains why it’s tilted slightly. The offside mount is bolted to the engine but I’ve misplaced the bolts which secure it to the subframe.

I’ve managed to make the brake master fit by using a diamond bit on my Dremel to open up the holes.

Also, there looks to be enough space for the Sprite filters to go on without fouling on the bulkhead. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

Rust never sleeps
Time Bandit

Post by Time Bandit »

That looks excellent!
Mike
Muhib

Post by Muhib »

Time Bandit wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:43 am That looks excellent!
Thanks Mike, it's getting there!
Rust never sleeps
Muhib

Post by Muhib »

Hi guys, hope you've all had a great new years (given the circumstances).

Progress has been a little slow. So far I have sorted all the engine mounts, installed the gear remote and exhaust manifold. I'm having issues installing the inlet manifold/carbs. The linkage interferes with the exhaust manifold. Is this because I'm using a Maniflow manifold designed for minis? I understand the ADO16 inlet manifolds are set at 20 degrees and the minis at 30. I've tried spacing out the carbs to no avail.

Would the C-AEG488 inlet manifold with the necessary float bowl grommets be all I need to get this to work? Cheers!

Rust never sleeps