Austin A35 2 door

The Home of any non Mini projects & discussion.
gazza82

Re: Austin A35 2 door

Post by gazza82 »

Costafortune wrote:Thinking back, the A30/35 was never a really rot prone car was it? They became tatty but not falling to bits like most other cars of that era.
They have their rust traps ... but there are still plenty that have never been welded and still on the road with mots. Guess a lot depends when it is used and where and how stored but then that does for plenty of 50s/60s cars. Our forum has a few basket cases ;-)
gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Been a while since I posted an update.

The bodyshell is now stripped of doors, boot, glass and all the mechanical bits apart from the rear shocks. They are behind held in place by the rear anti-roll bar which is connected by two small u-bolts I am reluctant to cut .. and the nuts are proving stubborn. I'm hoping that once it's on the roll-over jig I can work them out of their resting places.

Inside the panels are coated in a bitumen-like substance that was used to sound-deaden the panels .. a lot has simply flaked off being >60 years old, gone rock hard and some of it sitting on flaky rust especially the floor pans. That has exposed a couple of holes in the front floor pans where the factory assembly-jig boxes used to reside but the majority is still good steel underneath. I've also scraped off the same under the rear seat and again solid metal! Result! There are four splits in the rear floor where the tiltable seats have been allowed to drop heavily so will get welded up and re-inforced with extra plates. I just need to get some more of the deadening off the gearbox and prop tunnel and then coat the lot in Hydrate-80.

Wings came off with a struggle. Most of the original fittings are large self-tapping type screws into clips along the edge of the bonnet surround but some had been replaced with plain nuts and bolts and these were not playing ball. A couple snapped off when I purposely over-tightened them but 3 or 4 needed persuasion from the angle grinder. There was rust were I expected in the front sections but also just above one door hinge on the a-panel. Which explains the droopy n/s door. But the shell is pretty solid. Most of the rust is external panels and what would be described as "frilly" edges.

All the old wiring is out apart from a section running along the o/s edge of the roof. I will pull that out when I've attached some cord to the end to pull through so if I need to I can use that to pull any new wiring back through again. I plan to run the majority of new loom along the n/s though as that is closer to the new fuse box, etc.

The shell has now been fitted with the tubing for the roll-over jig I've been lent and the next step will be to empty the car of all the parts and tools lying around inside (and on the roof!) and lift it onto the jig stands. That will happen when I can get back into the car port as we have some building work going on and they have stored most their gear in front of the car to keep it dry!
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Will be following this with interest as I too learner to drive in an A35 I bought when I was 16 and ran it on the farm. I attest to the fact that the sills had plenty of filler and the door cones were reversed to make the doors sit better. A great little car and easy to learn mechanics on - much of which helped once we started on the family mini collections!!
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Good to have had an update. I look forward to the next.
Mark F
General dogsbody.