LONGBRIDGE Body Numbers

The Home of any non Mini projects & discussion.
peasantslife

LONGBRIDGE Body Numbers

Post by peasantslife »

Outside of my interest in Mk1's I'm, lets say, active in the world of Rover BRM's. ( unique assemblage of parts bin performance powertrain, race developed unique chassis tune components and unique to derivative cabin trim - sounds rather similar doesnt it?)
Sadly neither Heritage Gaydon nor BMW Heritage know anything about the final ten years or so of Longbridge production...
I'm currently researching Body Numbers for the Rover R3 (200 Bubble on which the BRM derivative is built.)

I just wonder if anyone here has by chance landed upon a key to decifer the body number which is stamped onto a strip and welded into the boot floor? Or just happens to know who would know what West Works were doing?

Using Gaydons #J1 car as an example it has as its body number 3B314S 000215A.
The only part I can be confident about is the 215 which I take to be the 215th body of that type. (Why so high? because of the number of Pre Prod cars that would have been built in the preceding year to production launch)
Currently the prefix block of 6 characters I dont know, nor the post numeric second bloc Suffix.

All suggestions welcome as so far we have drawn a blank at the end of each line of enquiry made.
surfblue63

Re: LONGBRIDGE Body Numbers

Post by surfblue63 »

I guess you've tried the Rover forum.

https://www.rover200.org.uk/forums/
peasantslife

Post by peasantslife »

Oh yes... I am fully engaged with the 200/400 club as a parts source, and know very well the scope of knowledge there. I have also got strong contacts in the other groups covering the last few iterations of Rover aerospace/BMW/Pheonix.
BMW and Gaydon Heritage know nothing (fact is we already have considerably more data than they do).
The Longbridge Alumnae has been asked....
I also have had dealings with Pryors, who produced the marking equipment....
which is why its a case of spreading the net wide before the personal memory is lost.
coopersean

Post by coopersean »

These look similar to the mini commission numbers - B20S...on 1980 and early 90's cars for example. A bit of info can be found here:

https://www.minimania.com/Mini_Chassis_ ... __Revised_
peasantslife

Post by peasantslife »

I appreciate the lead, I'll ask them... It is exactly this type of lead that just may provide the answers.