mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:27 pm 

mab01uk wrote:
Extracts below taken from the interesting book 'Imagine This' growing up with my brother John Lennon by Julia Baird:-
https://juliabaird.eu/

Page 201/202
"John and Cynthia had just moved into 'Kenwood' when they took us to see George, who was living with Patti Boyd in nearby Esher. There weren't any sofas or chairs and we all sat on huge, embroidered cushions on the floor and had drinks and snacks. It was my first experience of a hippy house and I wanted a home just like theirs.
All four Beatles were now the proud owners of customised, black Mini Coopers, with darkened electric windows. Ringo's had been delivered with an outsize boot, to accommodate his drum kit. John hadn't yet passed his driving test, but still insisted on driving us to have a picnic by the Thames. John, Cynthia, Julian, Jackie and me. He drove right across the golf course in Weybridge, laughing. This time we didn't stop to collect golf balls to sell back to the golfers. The money problem had been resolved.
When we remonstrated with John, laughing, about driving on the greens, he said, 'I'm a Beatle. I can do anything.'
At that time, that was the feeling, everywhere.

I think Julia might have her time line a bit askew, the Lennon's moved into Kenwood in '64 around the time of 'A Hard Day's Night', John passed his test in '65 (in George Martin's Triumph Herald convertible), John, George and Ringo didn't take delivery of their Radfords until early '66, and Ringo's was burgundy not black! ;)

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:32 pm 

Good God! That's boufin'

Anyone know how to get sick out a keyboard?

As an aside, JL kept his Ferrari, a '65 330GT, in Edinburgh. His cousin Stan ran a garage at 6 McDonald road, just off Leith walk from '63 - '69, and he looked after it. The garage later became the site of the first ever Kwik-fit.

Al

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:50 pm 

That’s the mini I saw but he had put LGF number plate on it
which looked suspiciously brand new .

Ne never told me the pork pie about going to school with Ringo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:58 pm 

He told me it had a 1071 lump in but I don't remember lifting the bonnet that day. Had a good butcher's inside it though, sat in the tart's front parlour seats trying to get the electric windows to work but no joy. Had a good look through his collection of spares and found a pair of GT40 seats, I should have made him an offer for those. He was very friendly but the b*llsh*t was flowing nicely.

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:31 am 

mab01uk wrote:
Quote from:-
Recollections Of Vehicle Recovery - National Rescue from a small coachworks covering the Kingston By Pass, to a multi branch group with depots in London, Surrey, Sussex, the Midlands and the West Country.
"Below we are cleaning up after Ringo Starr's little accident. Where he (and the lovely Barbara Bach) somersaulted over the A3 Robin Hood roundabout in his Mercedes. The car was later crushed and we believe ended up as a coffee table in his house (if you ever read this Mr. Starr I would love a picture of that to put here)."
http://www.vehiclerecovery.org/Recovery ... tions.html

As an aside, I had CYW579V, an ex met Rover 2600 manual. White, Jaguar 4 pot brakes and genuine Minilites. A real flying machine at the time - 1988.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:33 am 

mab01uk wrote:
Quote from:-
Recollections Of Vehicle Recovery - National Rescue from a small coachworks covering the Kingston By Pass, to a multi branch group with depots in London, Surrey, Sussex, the Midlands and the West Country.
"Below we are cleaning up after Ringo Starr's little accident. Where he (and the lovely Barbara Bach) somersaulted over the A3 Robin Hood roundabout in his Mercedes. The car was later crushed and we believe ended up as a coffee table in his house (if you ever read this Mr. Starr I would love a picture of that to put here)."
http://www.vehiclerecovery.org/Recovery ... tions.html

He was probably pissed.

The Mercedes was already an old car in '79.

Anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1G3vnc6WhY

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:50 pm 

Another shot of the Bank Garage Minis 'Lennon' car, from Car magazine in 1999...

Attachment:
MK2 S BANK GARAGE MINIS 1999 IMG_20190213_0010.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:49 am 

That is one ugly Mini - whatever it is :?

costa's youtube link is VERY funny :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:16 pm 

Number twooooooooo :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:53 pm 

Found a few more of the photos I took at Bank Garage back in '99, avert your gaze if you are of a sensitive nature...!

Attachment:
BGM#2.jpg

Attachment:
BGM#1.jpg

Attachment:
BGM#7.jpg

Attachment:
BGM#5.jpg

Attachment:
BGM#8.jpg

I'd love to know what happened to it... ;)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9