Hi 72 yr old recalling his early days.

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
hicklingmick

Hi 72 yr old recalling his early days.

Post by hicklingmick »

Hi .has the title says im 72 and just recalling my younger yrs

hope the photos come out ok.

Black mini is a 1310 s rally car,fitted with normal stuff in those days 731 cam ,sc/cr box,pair of larger SU"s.Spax adj.

Eventually sold it to a friend and bought a mk 1mexico.

Early 80"s I bought the Red version ex race car. I bought it as a rolling shell because guy wanted too much for the 8 port engine that was fitted to it.

Fitted with F/glass front /doors /boot lid and roof.

Normal suspension had been removed and fitted with adj arms & inclined coil overs at front.

Rear had an alloy beam fitted with adj alloy arms and coil overs.Was informed it was a Maguire unit.

I was the service manager of a Peugeot dealership in Leeds at the time so car was kept there while doing work on it.

I sourced a good block,had it offset bored and fitted I think were cut down Triumph pistons (long time ago so memory could be wrong).

Added a Kent 643 cam.Longman head on a 12g940 casting with a 40 dcoe on long inlet which protruded into the cab.

It was coupled to a SC / CR 4speed box..

At the rear I had to fit extensions to top of coil overs to enable an exhaust to be fitted.

As the car had never been on the road before it only had h/lights and stop lights fitted so indicator /side lights etc were added .

Hand brake was fitted using quandrants (normally on arms) to 2 floor places and mini van cables used.

At that time 165/70/10 tyres were largest available on 6 inch rims for road use so it looked a bit clumsy with big arches from its racing days.

being the manager of garage the car was MOTd by me and cert issued each yr.

it did like to cock its rear wheels up on cornering but was really fast once power was above about 300 rpm.

We moved to norfolk in 80"s and then sold the mini to guy from Motoring news.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mk1
Site Admin

Re: Hi 72 yr old recalling his early days.

Post by mk1 »

Hi Mick,

Welcome to the forum!

It's great to read your story. Which Peugeot dealership was it? Not Randersons by any chance? I bought my 205 GTI from there. Some scumbag also pinched my car phone out of it when it went for a service too. So mixed memories :)

I am very pleased to report that the images came out perfectly.
Mark F
I'm a rather fat feathery Owl called sage.

hicklingmick

Post by hicklingmick »

Hi Mk 1 ..

No not Randersons although we did cars for them that they couldnt sort out.

we seemed to do a lot for other Peugeot dealerships that couldnt sort there cars out for customers.

At one time we had deliveries of 604"s by transporters straight from storage somewhere that needed full paint and new discs fitted due to rust

It was Barkers of beeston 1st on old lane just off dewsbury rd then moved to corner off spence lane /whitehall rd.

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

At one time we had deliveries of 604"s by transporters straight from storage somewhere that needed full paint and new discs fitted due to rust.

Good to know that these sort of problems weren't exclusive to BL back in the day :lol:
Mark F
I'm a rather fat feathery Owl called sage.

nick@dunsdale

Post by nick@dunsdale »

Welcome.....great story :)

Of topic a bit but strangely i dont even recall the 604 Peugeot and i am no spring chicken and been in the motor trade for 37 years, i do remember the 504. There were quite a few of them locally.

I remember the 504 did well in the Safari rally in the 70's

All i can think is there must have been no 604's in my area which is quite rural to be fair. I love these old storys about the quality or lack of quality in cars from the 60's and 70's.
The best repairs go un-noticed

http://www.dunsdalecoachworks.com

Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

Anyone else feel the flurry of V62 downloads?

Oh.

:lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

hicklingmick wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:21 am

Not RNW333M by any chance? I had that 10-15 years ago, bought new by a bloke who worked at a Peugeot garage in 1973 - came from Tates the Ford dealer in Leeds.

Simon776

Post by Simon776 »

There is a picture of TPB in rally action here in 1974
https://www.robertclayson.co.uk/p877953 ... 5#h10dc7a0
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

hicklingmick

Post by hicklingmick »

Costafortune wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:55 am
hicklingmick wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:21 am

Not RNW333M by any chance? I had that 10-15 years ago, bought new by a bloke who worked at a Peugeot garage in 1973 - came from Tates the Ford dealer in Leeds.
no not that car but this which i fitted a 2ltr into it.

hicklingmick

Post by hicklingmick »

nick@dunsdale wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:25 am
Welcome.....great story :)

Of topic a bit but strangely i dont even recall the 604 Peugeot and i am no spring chicken and been in the motor trade for 37 years, i do remember the 504. There were quite a few of them locally.

I remember the 504 did well in the Safari rally in the 70's

All i can think is there must have been no 604's in my area which is quite rural to be fair. I love these old storys about the quality or lack of quality in cars from the 60's and 70's.
604 had either the carb version ( given to Delorean when no longer required) or injection .