mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:38 am 

I have viewed this car and it is as it came out of the factory. The 300 miles have been added using garage plates to give it a two mile run every month. It is unregistered and owned by Andrew Tinsley son of R.J. Tnisley a BMC / BL / Rover dealership owner in Dromore County Down for years. They still sell cars and are a very well respected family. :D

Alan

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1159601

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:41 pm 

I love that particular limited edition... i looked for ages for a good one, even found a JCG converted one, but they were all in shocking condition...'P reg' here seems to be a year when the Rover mini's were particularly water soluble!!!

Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:23 pm 

And unless that one has been in a dehumidified garage OR was stripped by the first owner on day one and absolutely flooded a protective waxy, penetrative, vapourising, capillary action, stick like shit to a blanket product like supertrol 001 deep probed into every seam, box section, nook, cranny, sill, seam and unpainted surface on the car, then guess what is happening to this car as we speak Snoopy. Yep, seen it and learned from it.

And don't think that by then the MGRover workforce were any better than their old BMC mates of the 60's. When I took the boot lid off my brand new RCSport 500 a year after I bought it new, the boot hinge gaskets were still water absorbing fibre and STILL unpainted under the top and bottom parts of both hinges

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:47 pm 

Peter Laidler wrote:
And unless that one has been in a dehumidified garage OR was stripped by the first owner on day one and absolutely flooded a protective waxy, penetrative, vapourising, capillary action, stick like shit to a blanket product like supertrol 001 deep probed into every seam, box section, nook, cranny, sill, seam and unpainted surface on the car, then guess what is happening to this car as we speak Snoopy. Yep, seen it and learned from it.

And don't think that by then the MGRover workforce were any better than their old BMC mates of the 60's. When I took the boot lid off my brand new RCSport 500 a year after I bought it new, the boot hinge gaskets were still water absorbing fibre and STILL unpainted under the top and bottom parts of both hinges

Peter, I'm pleased to say this car has been stored in an integral heated garage with an insulated garage door. 100% rust free believe me. As a matter of interest I'm only stating the facts about this car, I've no connection with it other than viewed it for a friend :)

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:54 pm 

Nice looking car :)

But very unique, what would one do with it !!

Do you keep as is unregistered and little more than delivery mileage ?

Or do you start using it ?

Basically one of those unusable cars :shock: :shock:

Bit like that mk2 that was discussed recently

http://www.dunsdalecoachworks.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:11 pm 

Nick I’m inclined to agree with you. A beautiful car and colour which many believe is the nicest special edition Mini Cooper of them all. What would I do with it? I would have it registered with a period mark and drive it in dry summer days. The problem I have with it is that when you register this car your starting point being a brand new car means it would not be Tax or MOT exempt until 2059 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:13 pm 

HI
just out of intrest, if you did get the car and then would like to run it, what would be the registring process as a private individual trying to register it as a "new" car that is actualy 1996, what Reg will it get???

regards mike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:19 pm 

Mike, getting it registered would not be a problem. It is still in a dealership and all the correct paperwork is with it. I'm sure that this dealership has a nice 1996 reg reserved for it and they would do all the transfer paperwork. They are genuine traders that I can say having bought a good number of cars from them over the years :D :D

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:21 pm 

nick@dunsdale wrote:
Nice looking car :)

But very unique, what would one do with it !!

Do you keep as is unregistered and little more than delivery mileage ?

Or do you start using it ?

Basically one of those unusable cars :shock: :shock:

Bit like that mk2 that was discussed recently

I'd register it and drive it with a big smile on my face rain or shine knowing that one day it would need restoring just like any other min :) :)

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:41 pm 

I saw a quote about cars with low mileage like this the other day, it said that owning one was like having a girl (or boy) friend and not having S*x with them to keep them in good condition for their next girl (or boy) friend :shock: :lol: