mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:18 pm 

In the "oh god, what have I done now..." department, we dragged this home yesterday. A 1959 Thames Dormobile!

Sitting in the same spot under a tree for 15 years has not been kind to this little van

Ok, story time...

We were at the local Father's day car show with my wife's late father's 1949 Triumph 2000, a man approached and was remembering Norman fondly and mentioned that he had purchased a Thames Dormobile from hime many years ago. My wife recalled fondly going on camping holidays in the old Thames Van and sleeping up in the pop top in the hammocks with her sister.

The man goes on to say that he still has the van, the very same one the family camped in, in the 60's and 70's! It has been sitting etc, but if we wanted it, it was ours for the taking. When I saw the look on her face and how the memories came flooding back, I couldn't say no. I did mention that I wasn't going to do it alone and that she had to help, to which she readily agreed.

Fast forward to yesterday when we sorted a new winch for the trailer and we exhumed it from its resting place. There were no less than 7 active wasp nests which made things exciting.

This could very well be the most ambitions restoration I have ever attempted!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:24 pm 

Awesome project.

Funnily enough I've spent the afternoon with my stockbroker. I know know why he advised to go long on mig wire, welding steel and grinding discs!

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:06 pm 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
Awesome project.

Funnily enough I've spent the afternoon with my stockbroker. I know know why he advised to go long on mig wire, welding steel and grinding discs!

Insider tip, invest in Band-Aids and tetanus medications too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:46 pm 

That's fantastic, expressed steel in the UK make panels for 400Es

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:54 am 

Always had a soft spot for the Thames Van .. Classic Campers on on the up so your Investment & Work will pay off .. rare & much better than the everyday classic Bedford or VW Camper :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:44 pm 

First look would indicate that the roof will prove to be the most challenging part of this build. There is metal missing in all 4 corners. Apparently it un-bolts, so we will start there and work down...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:31 pm 

That is way cool. I think it should be hot-rodded up as a surf-mobile :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:00 pm 

Well, if I am able to pull off all of the welding, I plan to use it to tow the Mini race car. Therefore it will be getting an engine/brake upgrade at the very least. I am thinking a Toyota V6, cheap as chips and super reliable. I have a 4Runner that is going stron with 431,000km on it that I tow with now.