mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:32 am 

111Robin wrote:
Are the front upper subframe mountings the most likely to be attributing to the noise ?. Finding genuine items will be difficult and I'd hate to make it worse by fitting inferior parts.

For some reason that i cannot explain, yes, in my car at least they made a considerable difference.
By the way, these were the mountings that were completely redesigned when BMC Australia created the Morris Nomad.

Regarding the replacements, i guess you can only find new old stock now. I don't think that anyone went into the trouble to remanufacture these mountings unlike the engine ones that were treated as consumables.
Replacement is relatively easy, you undo all bolts and you pull them from the top.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:53 am 

Sorry for getting my terminology wrong. Which of the front subframe mountings are most likely to improve the harshness ?. Fronts or rear upper or rear lower ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:09 am 

Yes, perhaps i wasn't clear enough. I was speaking of rear upper ones.
As you can see in the attached photo of the Nomad engine bay, the design of these mountings changed considerably.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:10 am 

Found the BMC technical bulletin online accidentally when searching for subframe mountings.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:51 pm 

Technically the change above was to the Morris 1500 series (when they changed engine types), the Nomad was the hatchback version :)
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15199

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:00 am 

I realigned the mountings per procedure but no improvement. One thing I did note though, the remote housing required a fair bit of force to push it up to enter the two shoulder screws so putting a stress on the sandwich plate, which has been replaced. I'm not sure how much stress is normal, I would say I had to push the housing up about 1/2" to close the gap. I still have the subframe mountings to replace, perhaps that will help. It could just be the aftermarket exhaust.