mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:09 pm 

Hello,
I'm new to the forum, but I just got a 1962 SX1000 (barn find) given to me. I need info on parts vendors, pictures and possible mini parts to restore it. I'd like to find out if the car is actually worth restoring or will this be restoration costing more than the car is worth. All the registers I found (1) say my car is "whereabouts unknown", well now they no where one is. I got the car from the original owner, I had done some other restoration projects for him, and he felt the car was best in my hands. Any info or sources you may have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:16 pm 

That's quite a find!

I think there are (at least) 2 Ogle's undergoing restoration by members of this forum at the moment, and Jeroen can tell you the colour of socks worn today by all Ogle members across the world..... :lol:

Al

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:29 pm 

if you have a look at the ogle thread

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14967

you will see some of the complexities in restoring one, they are neither easy or cheap due to the interaction of the steel mini tub and the ogle fibreglass

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:32 pm 

Nostalgia Cars, based in Taunton, were selling kits and developing road going cars. They may be able to help with reproduction parts

http://nostalgiacars.co.uk/nccoupe_full_details.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

What a fantastic find!

Rest assured if you decide not to do the restoration someone else will.

The Ogle SX1000 is one of the most sought after Mini derivatives & was one of the very few sold through a regular dealer network.

As has already been said the combination of steel panels & GRP is never a happy one & your car will almost certainly be suffering in this department unless you are very lucky.

Pretty much all mechanical stuff is standard mini which is of course very easy to source, the rest is less so, but these were low production cars so what there is left is probably quite easy to fabricate.

A well restored genuine SX1000 will command a very good price indeed. Think Cooper S type money.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:05 pm 

Any pictures :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:41 pm 

The link to the restoration project give me an idea of how they are "bonded" together. Mine is very rough, the person left it outside since 1979 under a tarp. Rodents have no soul...I'm debating pulling the body to repair the complete floor. I restored many cars in my time as a body guy, maybe 25+ years, from collision to Porsche Concourse restores...it doesn't scare me, just want it to be worth it. I don't want to be done painting it and find I can't get a windshield or back glass. I emailed several times to Nostalgia, but got, "what you see on the web is the most info", but I need parts too. It has 62K miles on it and the owner gave me the documents\correspondence between he and David Ogle LTD. Even the Lloyd's of London insurance paperwork when it came over on the boat...Don't be alarmed by the pictures, no floors and almost 30 years outside in Northeast US weather.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:53 pm 

Take it you’ve been in touch with ‘mini62’ on here about the car? Niall.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:19 pm 

Hi,
Thought that there were no more to be found after all these years.
What number is it? Should be a plate starting MO/.........
Email me and we can discuss.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:09 am 

According to the previous owner, and the letters he saved, This was sent to Boston and the buyer backed out, so they returned it and resent it to him. I also have a letter from David Ogle ltd. stating this would be the last car sent to the US. He told me this was the last of 6 ever made for the US. This is left hand drive, was noted as gunmetal gray and red\black interior. Only the center console has red, wonder if he changed the color and interior, need to have a sit-down with him and get all my history notes.