mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:13 pm 

I’m old enough to remember that in the sixties and seventies the Austin and Morris 850 Minis were common everywhere. The Cooper and especially the Cooper S type were very thin on the ground back then. Now it is the complete opposite. Anyone with two grey cells to rub together knows the good 850 Minis have nearly all been converted into Cooper S cars.

Sad really :(

Alan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:29 pm 

olddave wrote:
coopertim wrote:
When mine comes back in a few weeks, I dare say some will tell me it should have been kept original. It will be far from that with its new 1128 engine, remote change, white roof, brocade trim etc. It’s my car and although I can’t stretch to a Cooper or S, that’s the look I’m going for. It’s not a cheque book build but I’ve been collecting bits as and when they come up. It’ll get driven not trailered and won’t ever be sold so for me originality is outweighed by having a car that suits me!

Tim

Snap ;)

All coming out of the closet now :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:32 pm 

Mine was never in the closet! I started changing it the day I got it home! :lol:

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:36 pm 

If I were building a Mark 1 Cooper or an S from scratch (a V5 resurrection - who cares) then it'd be canary yellow, black roof, Cosmic wheels and a Benelite grille with spot lights and plain bumpers. I say that because as a nipper one of my parents' friends in the Yeovil Car Club had one just like that in the early seventies and used it for sprints at Yeovilton. It was an early S iirc, and my old man fitted a 1300GT engine and box when the 1071 was just about shagged out - he bought the old engine for 30 quid. :lol:

That era to me is what defines these cars. They were prime for a bit of modding and hotshoe action. As far back as 1990, my own 970 S had plain bumpers, an alloy roll cage, grille buttons, dry suspension and a very tasty 1293 cc S engine. I wasn't interested in concours or arguing over how many bristles a factory bootboard should have, but I was interested in having a cool old Mini that could get a move on. I feel the same way about Minis today. I did fit the correct engine before it was sold on and put the big motor into a 1275GT for a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:05 pm 

I'm not sure it's criticsim of modified cars that's lead us to where we are now. I just think it's the fashion, and has been increasingly for years to keep things bog standard when restoring Minis whether it be a Cooper S or anything else. I don't recall seing cars criticised on here for aftermarket seats,grilles, wheels, tuning conversions etc , it's what this forum was set up to talk about! Cars do tend to come in for a kicking though if they're misdescribed I suppose, which is a different thing altogether.

As for 'flat pack' rebuilds, who cares, each to their own. Some just want a squeaky clean brand new in the box Cooper S whether it's built from a logbook + a Mk1 850 and a pile of repro or not and why not?? Each to their own! Others insist on something more "original", or individual, we pays our money and we takes our choice. I just kind of hanker for those days when I saw more individual cars out and about that often wore their history and life on their sleeves so to speak. Its rose tinted specs though I know cos ultimately these cars must all get restored and in the process usually lose all the individul features.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:13 pm 

Agreed. I think the only cars that get a kicking on here are the ones that try to pass themselves off as something they clearly are not.. Quite rightly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:03 pm 

I see Mr Hood is still active in 9 companies https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/offi ... pointments
so no doubt this will take some sorting out?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:04 pm 

So let me give you a example of something that would get a good kicking on forums then . I will use Andrews HOY restoration because we're all aware of it . So the scenario is this : HOY gets purchased by someone other than Andrew . It's stripped of its component parts and put in boxes , engine unit in the corner , log book in the draw . The buyer has chosen to re shell instead of building a shell from 80% new panels . Whilst he's looking for a doner shell life gets in the way and years pass with nothing happening . Realising he's not going to get the project done he decides to advertise it on eBay . Now can you imagine the pictures he posts up , engine covered in dust , seats ripped , boxes of bits and a log book pic with a heritage cert . So we all know what happens next , it gets ripped apart , slagged off with terms like , " log book rebuild" ..... " needs a ringing kit " ... " will turn up at beaulieu brand new " .... " another shiny resto ... Now Andrew has the skill set to build a new shell and if he thinks he's still got the original shell then that's his opinion . I wouldn't have thought any less of it if he had found a doner shell requiring maybe a floor pan and a few panels . Andrew i am just mentioning HOY as a example for the given scenario . So where am I going with this ! I've just purchased a 66 mk1 Cooper project where the shell was scrapped 8 years ago . I've got the log book , heritage cert , engine unit , trim , boxes of bits , panels etc . In fact I've got most of the car except the shell . This came from a member on this forum who didn't want to advertise it for fear of it and him getting slagged off ... In my humble opinion car forums shouldn't act like judge and jury . I will build a shell for my 66 Cooper , restore it to mint condition , enter it at beaulieu concours all shiny then sell it for as much as I can possibly make . ... ken

70 1275 GT
246 Ferrari Dino ...........sold
997 Porsche turbo
MPI modified
Transit van
Minisprint Trickett

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:24 am 

This is sort of going off topic, but relates to Swiftys point, not passing judgment at all, but id be a bit careful what is said in a public forum. According to DVLA, looks like reshelling car, with a used shell and keeping existing registration is illegal :shock:

Have to use a “new” shell to keep reg number or if you use an old shell should be a Q plate....

Point 2 seems in attached seeems to make the point?

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... 180218.pdf

So it would appear a Heritage shell is ok - begs the question, when is a new shell a new shell....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:27 am 

swifty wrote:
So let me give you a example of something that would get a good kicking on forums then . I will use Andrews HOY restoration because we're all aware of it . So the scenario is this : HOY gets purchased by someone other than Andrew . It's stripped of its component parts and put in boxes , engine unit in the corner , log book in the draw . The buyer has chosen to re shell instead of building a shell from 80% new panels . Whilst he's looking for a doner shell life gets in the way and years pass with nothing happening . Realising he's not going to get the project done he decides to advertise it on eBay . Now can you imagine the pictures he posts up , engine covered in dust , seats ripped , boxes of bits and a log book pic with a heritage cert . So we all know what happens next , it gets ripped apart , slagged off with terms like , " log book rebuild" ..... " needs a ringing kit " ... " will turn up at beaulieu brand new " .... " another shiny resto ... Now Andrew has the skill set to build a new shell and if he thinks he's still got the original shell then that's his opinion . I wouldn't have thought any less of it if he had found a doner shell requiring maybe a floor pan and a few panels . Andrew i am just mentioning HOY as a example for the given scenario . So where am I going with this ! I've just purchased a 66 mk1 Cooper project where the shell was scrapped 8 years ago . I've got the log book , heritage cert , engine unit , trim , boxes of bits , panels etc . In fact I've got most of the car except the shell . This came from a member on this forum who didn't want to advertise it for fear of it and him getting slagged off ... In my humble opinion car forums shouldn't act like judge and jury . I will build a shell for my 66 Cooper , restore it to mint condition , enter it at beaulieu concours all shiny then sell it for as much as I can possibly make . ... ken

Interesting post Ken.

I’m at work just now so will reply later :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next