mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:34 pm 

Pete wrote:
Is there a chart like that for Mk1 850s. ? I remember looking a few years ago and whilst Ss were on the rise 850s were on the wain. Yes it’s a lot of Mk1 Cooper S projects to find in a short space of time so I can understand your cynicism but to be fair how many restored Ss on the road now came from original survivors with provenance? Not many! What is mega boring though is the rise in popularity of the identikit restored Mk1 S that now all look exactly bog standard the same. I presume it’s the investment factor that influences owners / restorers , I don’t know but feck me are they boring. Jonny Newton will be happy though!

I love the charm of a factory fresh S as much as anyone, but nobody seems to want to deviate from the 'originality is king' mantra these days. Every time I look at what's for sale on ebay or carandclassic I start thinking about what I'd change or bolt on if any of them were mine, I can't be the only one. Originality is nice, but the mods and bodges that people carried out on thier hotted up Minis in the '60s and '70s are far more interesting. My ultimate Mini would be a Radford, W&P or Minisprint, or a mixture of all three ;)

Generally speaking, enthusiasts of other classic marques don't seem to get as hung up on it as 'us' Cooper types do, look at the Ford and VW bods, they love all that period mods / custom malarkey.

Stanford Hall next weekend - no disrespect to the owners but I wonder how many of the concourse cars will be strictly as they left the factory...

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S
1994 Jap Mini 1275 Auto 'project 70s backdate'

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:13 pm 

If there's a Cooper s advertised on car and classic or ebay how long does it take certain members on this forum to slaughter it for not having the correct parts on . Maybe this is why there is so many about looking the same . ... ken

70 1275 GT
246 Ferrari Dino ...........sold
997 Porsche turbo
MPI modified
Transit van
Minisprint Trickett

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:55 pm 

They butcher the cars and we slaughter the sellers. :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:56 pm 

Well said Ken

I had a totally original (although repainted) cooper project car on eBay a while back. Really nice and complete. An early car being a 64 998 cooper. Still had it’s full skirt front panel and everything.

A member on here who actually runs a mini business described it as ‘looking dodegy’. Presumably because it wasn’t the right colour (having been repainted). He didn’t exactly prove his credentials there. I’d think twice about dealing with his mini business based on that! If a person who actually deal in mini stuff think it’s fine to slag off original cars (based on photos on eBay and not even reading the description) what hope is there?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:04 pm 

Pete wrote:
What is mega boring though is the rise in popularity of the identikit restored Mk1 S that now all look exactly bog standard the same!

Tick box restorations, that never get driven.... :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:10 pm 

You are the Messiah Pete, how did you predict that :D

Long shot, but maybe some one worked out a way of tracing old S registrations....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:22 pm 

swifty wrote:
If there's a Cooper s advertised on car and classic or ebay how long does it take certain members on this forum to slaughter it for not having the correct parts on . Maybe this is why there is so many about looking the same . ... ken

Agreed, its nice to see a factorycar, but in th 80s first thing we did was remove hydrolastic, i hated it then and it would be first thing to remove now. Alas i will never get featured in John
Parnell’s book, i am glad to say :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:32 pm 

When mine comes back in a few weeks, I dare say some will tell me it should have been kept original. It will be far from that with its new 1128 engine, remote change, white roof, brocade trim etc. It’s my car and although I can’t stretch to a Cooper or S, that’s the look I’m going for. It’s not a cheque book build but I’ve been collecting bits as and when they come up. It’ll get driven not trailered and won’t ever be sold so for me originality is outweighed by having a car that suits me!

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:52 pm 

coopertim wrote:
When mine comes back in a few weeks, I dare say some will tell me it should have been kept original. It will be far from that with its new 1128 engine, remote change, white roof, brocade trim etc. It’s my car and although I can’t stretch to a Cooper or S, that’s the look I’m going for. It’s not a cheque book build but I’ve been collecting bits as and when they come up. It’ll get driven not trailered and won’t ever be sold so for me originality is outweighed by having a car that suits me!

Tim

Snap ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:57 pm 

You can’t beat a good “kit of bits” :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next