The Little Car You Can Drive In France Without A Licence....

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
mab01uk
1275 Cooper S

The Little Car You Can Drive In France Without A Licence....

Post by mab01uk »

Easy to park: A VSP tucked between an old-style Mini and a Smart car

"If you are planning on driving in France, beware - one could be heading straight for you at the next roundabout. Carolyn Brown, who lives part of the year in Brittany, has a cautionary tale about a very small car.
Losing one's driving licence in the UK is a serious matter - expensive and, to say the least, very inconvenient.
But in France, no licence? No problem. You can simply go shopping for a VSP a voiture sans permis - a small two-seater car that anyone aged 14 or over can take out on the road with as little as four hours' experience behind the wheel, sometimes not even that.
It's impossible to say how many there are as no official figures exist. It is what the French call a chiffre noir - an unknown quantity.
You'll probably hear them coming first, a high-pitched whine like a sewing machine being run at full throttle. If you get stuck behind one on a windy rural lane, tant pis. Top speed is 45km per hour (28mph). It's probably a good idea to stop in the next lay-by and admire the view for a while rather than sit fuming in its wake.
On market day in my nearest town here in Brittany the little voitures sans permis splutter into the main street. Although the literal translation is "car without licence" it is in fact the driver who doesn't need to bother himself or herself with any proof of ability behind the wheel.
Once seen as an anachronism that, given time, would inevitably be legislated out of existence they remain a vital means of transport for an ageing rural population. For the most part they are scruffy and battered. Their bodywork is faded and peeling, often touched-up with a spot of household gloss paint. Wire and gaffer tape hold loose panels together and one I saw had its bumper held in place with washing line fashioned into an elaborate blanket stitch."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35210572
rich@minispares.com
1275 Cooper S

Re: The Little Car You Can Drive In France Without A Licence

Post by rich@minispares.com »

I think I would rather walk......
should you wish, you can contact me on rich@minispares.com

'long beard boss'
Pandora
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pandora »

rich@minispares.com wrote:I think I would rather walk......
Oh, I'm sure they have a fuel gauge, Rich. :lol:

Al
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I have seen these before, the one above is a Rolls Royce compared to some of them.

Or maybe the classic

There are some cool ones too though, I wouldn't have said no to one of these at 14

M

PS. Sorry about the big image, I ripped it off the net.
wil_h
Basic 850

Post by wil_h »

I read this article earlier on the BBC. When you consider that in this country all you need to drive a 125 motorbike at 17 (which will do 60mph) is a CBT then is it that bad?

For those who haven't done a CBT, it's not something you can actually fail, it's a ride around a few cones and an hour on the road. On mine, a young lad fell off in the carpark, constantly stalled his bike then stuck it in a ditch while out on the road - He still passed!

Vive la France!
Pandora
1275 Cooper S

Post by Pandora »

I have a funny feeling Noel Edmonds was something to do with the last one in Mark's photos - maybe the UK importer?

Just when you thought Mr Blobby was the worst he could do.......

Al
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Oh No!

The burning shame, how will I live with it :cry:
LuisM
998 Cooper

Post by LuisM »

:)

we have more or less the same rules here in Portugal, there is a big market for these toys...
mostly used by kids over 14, or by old people ( pensionists mostly ) who never got a normal class B car driving license.
They can cost something like 20 000 euros , because of that they commonly known as "Papa Reformas"....which means "Pension Eaters" :)

one thing i like them... they use those lightweight ( 2.8Kg ) Denso alternators ;)

Cheers
Luis
UHR850
1275 Cooper S

Post by UHR850 »

:( Over here in the Netherlands you can drive as well in those :x things around.
I :evil: :evil: :evil: these little :evil: :evil: :evil:

:mrgreen: Kees
DOWNTON Mini is what I like a lot.
Collecting 60th wooden steeringwheels.
rich@minispares.com
1275 Cooper S

Post by rich@minispares.com »

wil_h wrote: On mine, a young lad fell off in the carpark, constantly stalled his bike then stuck it in a ditch while out on the road - He still passed!

!

still, whats worse

a young lad been unable to control his moped whilst doing the cbt, or someone who passes the test and then crashes into their mate.........

haha :lol:
should you wish, you can contact me on rich@minispares.com

'long beard boss'
UHR850
1275 Cooper S

Post by UHR850 »

Some of them can't get a drivinglicens because of ????
But they can drive these :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: cars in the normal trafic !
In the Netherlands the roads are very crowded with als sorts of things !

:mrgreen: Kees
DOWNTON Mini is what I like a lot.
Collecting 60th wooden steeringwheels.
mab01uk
1275 Cooper S

Post by mab01uk »

Not good that a banned drink driver in France can get immediately get back on the road driving a VSP...... :o

Quote:
"The fact is that a lot of conducteurs who lose their licence because they are too fond of the pastis, walk out of court down to their local VSP outlet, et voila they can be back on the road in hours. Yes, they ought to have insurance, which is pricey if you have a record of illness or a fondness for alcohol - it can set you back as much 85 euros (£63) a month. A reputable dealership won't sell you a car unless you can show insurance, but it's not a problem if you pick one up from your mate.
I asked around in my local bar but the drinkers were coy about their reasons for driving sans permis.
One chap told me the theory exam for a full licence was too difficult. But in a quiet moment the patron told me what he said was a common story. One of his regulars lost his licence and bought an ancient voiture sans permis. When his licence was reinstated, he sold the voiturette to a drinking chum who had just had his licence taken away . It changed hands once more in the same way and then after a year or so the original owner (who evidently hadn't kicked his pastis habit) bought it back again."
pad4
1275 Cooper S

Post by pad4 »

Ah that's nothing , In the UK all the Pakis,Immigrants and pikeys drive round with no licence or insurance but they can drive Suubaruu's,Range Rovers or Transit vans . I don't think you need a licence to be a bus driver either.

Pad
In the shed
998 Cooper

Post by In the shed »

I've often wondered about putting something in the back of an Aixam. The guy my dad sold his 126 to stuck a bike engine in the back. That must have been pretty epic. They have got expensive recently though