15 Years of Car Manufacture Left !

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
snoopy64

Re: 15 Years of Car Manufacture Left !

Post by snoopy64 »

Costafortune wrote:I'm not a vegan, but it's something worth supporting. We shouldn't really be eating animals in 2020. We shouldn't also be supporting the car industry which is now completely out of control. How many cars were produced in 2019? Far, far too many. I've advocated a huge reduction in car manufacture for years. A good car should last over twenty years, but most of what's being made now is complete shit, especially German stuff and MINI crap. It's time we started buying cars to last and run them into the ground until they're completely knackered. A BMW 328i from 2013 shitting its engine after 45'000 miles and the manufacturer telling the owner to basically piss off is NOT acceptable.

On a lighter note, this Sheffield tram has been unofficially named the Schofield Express:

The main reason for new car production is driven by finance, no one BUYS a car anymore... they have one on finance and change it every 3 years... we just bought our first new car in 15 years.. the sales guy couldn't understand that at all, let alone the word cash!!!
Cheers

Kevin

Andrew1967

Post by Andrew1967 »

General concern between people I know is that the reason PCP is so popular now is that too many people have had their fingers burnt spending £5-10k on the average 5 year old car and have inherited all sorts of very costly problems caused mainly by the totally unnecessary bullshit that manufacturers put on modern cars.

The cynics amongst us think it’s all a conspiracy to sell more new cars !!

snoopy64

Post by snoopy64 »

Andrew1967 wrote:General concern between people I know is that the reason PCP is so popular now is that too many people have had their fingers burnt spending £5-10k on the average 5 year old car and have inherited all sorts of very costly problems caused mainly by the totally unnecessary bullshit that manufacturers put on modern cars.

From the survey of colleagues ...it’s popular because everyone wants a new car but can’t afford to buy one...different times
Cheers

Kevin

Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

Or the old adage....if it goes up in value, buy it, if it goes down in value, lease it. :D

Andrew1967

Post by Andrew1967 »

snoopy64 wrote:
Andrew1967 wrote:General concern between people I know is that the reason PCP is so popular now is that too many people have had their fingers burnt spending £5-10k on the average 5 year old car and have inherited all sorts of very costly problems caused mainly by the totally unnecessary bullshit that manufacturers put on modern cars.

From the survey of colleagues ...it’s popular because everyone wants a new car but can’t afford to buy one...different times
I think it’s a bit of both to be honest Kevin.

I bought a brand new car in 2008, still own it and use it daily. None of the needless tech that modern cars have, so much less to go wrong. Why do we need lane assist .... keep your eyes on the bloody road and not on the entertainment screen. :roll:

Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

Costafortune wrote:I'm not a vegan, but it's something worth supporting. We shouldn't really be eating animals in 2020:
Agree with the sentiment, but makes you wonder what will happen to the animals when we stop eating them. Will we start keeping Chickens, Pigs and Cows as pets? Will there be flocks, herds and sounders ( looked that one up ) of animals roaming free ? or living in the woods or will they just die out ?............just a thought :)

WMU 211G

Post by WMU 211G »

If that's the new Mini Moke you can count me out... :lol:
Nidge

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S

floormanager

Post by floormanager »

18 months ago, I bought a second-hand Audi S5. The sales guys did everything they could to get me to take finance, pleaded with me. They lost all interest in the sale when I said I'm paying cash and no to any part-finance. They looked at me like I'd crapped on their desk. And there was me thinking cash was king. What a weird World we live in.

surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

Gone are the days of getting a discount for paying cash. I brought a low mileage 10 year old MINI Clubman from my local Vauxhall main dealer a few months ago. The salesman was completely lost as I only wanted the car, no trade-in, no finance, no warranty, no top up insurance, no super resin polish, nothing. I had to sign quite a few bits of paper to say that he had told me about all the offers and deals. Poor bloke just didn't make any commission on anything, but at least he got a sale that week.

By the way, I couldn't pay cash or use my debit card, so I had to go to my bank and do a transfer instead.

PS Veganism is going to cause the extinction of all domesticated animals and livestock. They are breed for consumption, nothing else. No one will keep Friesians or Aberdeen Angus' as pets. And good luck growing your vegetation when all the phosphates have been mined out of Morrocco and the Sahara.
Who knows I might get to 5000 posts by the time all the crap is over!

Andrew1967

Post by Andrew1967 »

I'll say one thing, I'm more up for going Vegan than driving a f***ing electric car.