mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1100 Purchase?!?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:32 am 

Hi, forum members.
Owning a 850 Mk1 Mini for 20 years I am trying to purchase a more "substancial" BMC/BL car (I'm still keeping the 850).

I prefer non modified cars or only with some period mods/accessories.
Initially thought about a Mk IV 998 mini but I am not very pleased with the price or unoriginal condition of most cars I found.
I noticed that ADO16 cars are at sensible prices and I quite fancy MK1 ones (Pininfarina lines are a must).

I never owned or drove an ADO16.
I live in Portugal, so not UK based, with the non-Mini parts scarcity associated...

All of you who own ADO16 and minis please comment on the pros and cons of either option.

Thank you all for your help,
Jorge Figueiredo

Post subject: Re: 1100 Purchase?!?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:04 pm 

Jorge,
ADO16s are still reasonably plentiful in Portugal and I would think you would have a good chance of finding something that hasn't been destroyed by corrosion over there. Body panels and interior trim can be difficult to find but not impossible. Mechanical parts are easy enough to source. Of course I am biased owning a Mk1 ADO16 but I also prefer these to the Mk2/3. As you already have a Mini I think it's a good idea to also have an ADO16, then you have the best of both worlds. Not everyone likes them but if you enjoy driving your Mini I think you would also like the ADO16. The hydrolastic takes a bit of getting used to but once you get over feeling sea-sick you'll be fine :).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:33 pm 

111Robin wrote:
Jorge,
ADO16s are still reasonably plentiful in Portugal and I would think you would have a good chance of finding something that hasn't been destroyed by corrosion over there. Body panels and interior trim can be difficult to find but not impossible. Mechanical parts are easy enough to source. Of course I am biased owning a Mk1 ADO16 but I also prefer these to the Mk2/3. As you already have a Mini I think it's a good idea to also have an ADO16, then you have the best of both worlds. Not everyone likes them but if you enjoy driving your Mini I think you would also like the ADO16. The hydrolastic takes a bit of getting used to but once you get over feeling sea-sick you'll be fine :).

I'd agree with that, I've never owned one myself but when I started out with Minis my best mate bought a 1969 Riley Kestrel for £50, that had the 1275 engine with 11 stud head and and LCB (which we frequently had to fix). It was great to drive once you got used to the hydro, and it actually handled pretty well as I discovered on my first drive when approaching a favourite 90 right and the brake pedal went to the floor! Let's just say we got round....

When the tin worm killed that, the engine was removed, rebuilt according to the teachings of Vizard and inserted into an almost rust-free Wolseley 1300 which surprised quite a few other road users...

I still have an occasional hankering for a 1300GT for which I blame the above experiences and a visit to the 1971 Motor Show, still got the brochure somewhere...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:06 pm 

I ran a 1970 1300GT for a couple of years as daily driver until the tinworm got the better of it. Even then (early 90's) getting some of the replacement panels was tricky.

I don't recall this 1300GT having overly soft suspension, and when taking off the front displacers I found a couple of dished brass washers, one in each of the hydro connections. These appeared to be a simple restrictor, with a hole of about 4mm diameter. I don't know if these restrictors were used on all 1100/1300models, but will have helped to tame the see-sawing.

But if you can find a Authi MG 1100 with bodywork in good condition that would be a really nice car.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:16 pm 

carbon wrote:
I don't recall this 1300GT having overly soft suspension, and when taking off the front displacers I found a couple of dished brass washers, one in each of the hydro connections. These appeared to be a simple restrictor, with a hole of about 4mm diameter. I don't know if these restrictors were used on all 1100/1300models, but will have helped to tame the see-sawing.

Yes, this was a standard fitment for all 1100s.
Cars with tired displacers that have lost their internal valving could be very soft indeed.
ADO16s don't see-saw at all due to the interconnection, they just bounce on the 4 wheels.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:38 am 
Site Admin

Having owned more minis than you can shake the proverbial stick at, I think that the ADO16 are a huge breath of fresh air.

Easier to work on than a Mini, mechanical parts are still pretty easy to come by. They do rust, mainly around the front bulkhead, sills & rear subframe mounting panel & good panels can be difficult / expensive to find. However, if you find a good one, which will probably be as cheap as chips you will have an absolute HOOT!

I took our 1300 on the 1st MK1 forum road run earlier this year & although my lad had to drive his socks off, we kept up with the Cooper Ss all day, 4 up & in comparative comfort.

Some Mini owners absolutely HATE ADO16's, but this is usually because they have never driven one.

Get one bought, you won't regret it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:14 am 

Hi forum members.
Got to thank all of you who replied my post.
Now the search reached the end. I did get an 1100; not the ADO16, but an ADO20 instead... A late, December 1980 reg, Clubman 1100, portuguese CKD (as my Mk1).
Here is a photo:

Best Regards,
Jorge Figueiredo

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:33 am 

Looks very nice.

Congratulations !!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:34 am 
Site Admin

Looks like a great little car.