mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:36 am 

Thanks to Mark and the moderators for clarifying things here.

It’s a shame that Teaboy doesn’t want to clarify the reason for starting the thread and for the pointed comments. He was online for quite a while after I posted on this thread last night suggesting he clarifies and clear any misunderstanding up. He has thus far declined to do that which leads me to only assume that my initial thoughts were correct.

If you don’t want to publicly reply then feel free to PM me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:54 am 

I might have missed the later postings on the thread, but from what I saw initially it didn’t appear to be an attack on Andrew’s excellent work with HOY. I agree the original post was very strangely written, but I chose to take it as a genuine request for information rather than as deliberately provocative.

To that end, I tried to contribute objectively to the thread - I added details of the DVLA standard for originality - and as part of that I also added a ‘what if’ comparison between a re-shell and an eBay rebuild.

When I saw the thread was taking a darker tone, I subsequently edited my own post to remove the comparison, as when I re-read it I realised it came across as potentially divisive - not my intention. I’d just like to apologise if I added fuel to the fire in any way, and add my voice to the others thanking Mark and the moderators for the excellent job they do in keeping this great forum running smoothly.

I would also like to make an observation: On some other moderated forums, rather than delete an entire thread the mods tend to excise specific problematic posts and replace the text with a reason why the edit was made, and optionally lock the thread preventing further comments. Although perhaps that is straying too far into the area of editorial control rather than moderation.

Anyway, not a criticism - however it was done, I’m glad that we have friendly moderators who can step in to resolve such an issue, especially once it was clear that it was degenerating into more of a personal attack and people were getting upset.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

I would also like to make an observation: On some other moderated forums, rather than delete an entire thread the mods tend to excise specific problematic posts and replace the text with a reason why the edit was made, and optionally lock the thread preventing further comments. Although perhaps that is straying too far into the area of editorial control rather than moderation.

That is exactly why I have always discouraged this sort of editing. If people moderate their own views using the sort of comments I made previously then this sort of situation rarely arrives. Neither I nor any of the Mods have time to edit posts with a running commentary, we all work & have families.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:06 pm 

Not names Mark, but not even the country?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:17 pm 

Again many thanks to all who had the courage to reply to this post. What is it about forums that people will not post? Many posts I make receive no open posts but in the background I get loads of support, please, can someone answer this genuine question. :)

This forum has large numbers who have never posted one word? Are they really members I ask?

Alan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:03 pm 

Supersonic wrote:
For what it is worth, I think every user should have to use their real name, if you know what I mean

Alan

Assume “Supersonic” is your surname Alan :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:24 pm 

Missed the original posts and this one until now but get the jist of it .
What sums it up to me is item 3 on Marks list .
Again my personal opinion not fact
Jeremy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:28 pm 

It would help if Teaboy took note of Items 4 & 5 .....

Last edited by Andrew1967 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:29 pm 

I would add to Mark’s list that English isn’t the first language of every user and care should be taken to be clear and unambiguous.... in tone as well as content.

Personally I treat forums like TV, if I don’t like what’s on it I turn over or switch it off...

Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:43 pm 

Andrew1967 wrote:
It would help if Teaboy took note of Item 4 .....

Unfortunately not Andrew ,so as was done the line was drawn under it , he is not be the first to not reappear and won’t be the last unless hopefully he turns up and adds further to this discussion .
Remaining positive, this place is essentially like football , it’s about the team not the individual

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next