mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:01 pm 

251 ENG wrote:
That's a great car

Yes indeed. My first car as of 47 years ago. It will be hard to part with it even when I’m dead. It’s not far from standard but just enough to make it fun.
D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:10 pm 

Dearg1275 wrote:
rich@minispares.com wrote:
Is that an RH plate?

Certainly is Rich.

Very nice, local car!

Do you know which dealer sold it?

We have a couple of RH cars in our family collection (not minis)

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:19 pm 

Dearg1275 wrote:
Is that an RH plate?

Certainly is Rich.

Very nice, local car!

Do you know which dealer sold it?

We have a couple of RH cars in our family collection (not minis)

Rich, it went to Kennings Ltd Hull. I’ve always though of the reg as “royal Hull” for Kingston upon Hull. I bought it in Leeds in 73.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:31 pm 

Nice

Hull was KH and RH with a little bit of BT and AT sneaking in on the outskirts from the dealers in Beverley

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:27 am 

One noticeable thing about the mini scene in Australia is the wide range of age groups who turn up to mini gatherings. Not just to look but who actually drive them.
Many classic car groups have the ageing demographic but minis seem to attract younger people as well. We are experiencing a general loss of interest in car ownership among younger people typified by lower proportions of them getting drivers' licences or owning cars. Minis still seem to appeal to a wide audience, so long as the price of ownership doesn't get silly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:33 pm 

My eldest is about to turn 17 and keen to get on the road, we'll likely be buying him a used VW Up! in the next few months to get him on the road but I just know he wont have much interest in it other than getting from A to B. I may be wrong but I think I'll be getting another car to clean and maintain, rather than him. (I'm quite happy doing so). Tried getting him to help me out with bits and pieces on the Mini or Landrover over the years but he'd rather be in front of the playstation, total opposite to me at that age.
The youngest boy at 11 might be more interested, certainly more keen to attend car shows.
In the fullness of time one of them will hopefully inherit the Mini, and the plan will be to have something else as well, maybe a Series Landrover, when garage space and finances permit so that they can each have one of "Dad's cars".
Getting into a Mk1 Mini and actually having to drive it, rather than simply steering a modern supermini would take a little getting used to I'm sure. Choke, floor starter, foot dipswitch, manual washer pump, one speed wipers etc,,,,,, I suppose it may appeal to a younger generation just because it is so vastly different to today's soulless but wait, no bluetooth or wifi hotspot or usb to plug in the phones.......

1963 Morris Mini Minor Superdeluxe
2004 Discovery 2 Td5
2014 Freelander 2 SD4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:00 pm 

My dad had Minis all his life. When I took my drivers license he had a black MK2 Mini pretty much good to go for me. I was never interested and he didn't forced the car on me. I didn't even got near the car, just remember seeing it tucked away in my neighbor's shop. Shortly after the car was sold.

Four years later my dad passed away, aged 49, and I had to decide what to do with the remains of a 1275 S, totally disassembled, lots of parts missing, etc. I jumped with both feet and long story short, learned how to use my hands for the first time and just enough to finish the car, 7 years later.

I'm glad I have taken that decision as today I feel like I really inherited something from my dad (and grandfather as well), learned how to fix/repair some things instead of calling someone to do it and I really learnt a lot about myself and the things I like to do and want to learn.

Today 12 years have passed and although I am in my 30s, I admit I could have been another young adult with no particular interest in classic cars.

My sugestion? Tell your kids the special things that make you proud or excited about the cars. Show them the cars, make them smell them and if their old enough, drive them. It may seem like they aren't listening, but something will get there. Like a commercial in loop :) My dad always mentioned the 200 speedo when he talked about the car and my decision to restore the car was made when I found the speedo.

Last week I made the girlfriend drive the Mini. She was resisting for too long as she was afraid to damage something... so I forced it a little. She loved it! She loved the driving experience much more than the passenger experience. Now I get it, it's fun!. (And a very tight 3 synchro box was a bit of a challenge)
It was a great fun and I really liked to see someone close enjoying the car, it was built for that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:21 am 

You mean to tell me that young people don't want to pay a vast fortune of money for an outdated vehicle that may- or may not - still be road legal in a couple decades? What on earth could possibly be more appealing than dropping their life savings into an unreliable, uncomfortable old car?

:lol:

In all seriousness, I often see young people that are into classic cars. I'm 34, and know of a handful of Mini owners in the Western U.S. who are in their 20s (or younger!). It's obviously not common, but they're out there. Same with other marques as well, especially VW, Alfa Romeo, Porsche and other somewhat attainable classics.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:10 am 

Getting youngsters into classic cars is like getting some of the forum members into pre-war cars. We like looking at them but how many of us would actually take the plunge and own one?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Me :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.