mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Possible mk3 S ?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:37 pm 

spoon.450 wrote:
Why 1275GT Simon ??

Because it started life with an XAD2 chassis number prefix and engine number 3244 :ugeek:

Post subject: MK 3 Cooper S ???
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:52 pm 

The car carries the S chassis numbers but am unsure it is the real deal.Boot brackets in boot tho non original engine and alot of rust.Needs a complete resto plus paint and to source a S engine/gbox.He`s looking for 6500 pounds.Hmmm
,is it worth investing a further 7000 to restore? Would appreciate your comments.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:10 pm 

Pictures would help :)

Post subject: Re: MK 3 Cooper S ???
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:17 pm 

Brian Thurston wrote:
The car carries the S chassis numbers but am unsure it is the real deal.Boot brackets in boot tho non original engine and alot of rust.Needs a complete resto plus paint and to source a S engine/gbox.He`s looking for 6500 pounds.Hmmm, is it worth investing a further 7000 to restore? Would appreciate your comments.

I'd be surprised if it has an original chassis plate. A 1275 GT of that age has bootboard brackets but not the EFT tags. If it doesn't, then no matter how much you spend on it, it won't be an original Mk 3 S.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:55 pm 

So ..is it the ex Vortz Blaze GT that was modded to, and re-id'd as a mk3 S then ? Historically interesting car if so....
Current pics would be good..... :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:47 am 

spoon.450 wrote:
So ..is it the ex Vortz Blaze GT that was modded to, and re-id'd as a Mk3 S then ? Historically interesting car if so....
Current pics would be good..... :)

No, it is not the ex-Vortz car. That is still Blaze and was still in Austria (where it has been for a number of years) recently.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:47 pm 

I much agree with what has been stated thus far. I’ve been around Mk3 Cooper S cars from they were first built. I’ve never seen a genuine Mk3 Cooper S without the XAD1 chassis number. I’ve also said before that trying to tie down the BMC / BL lineage is virtually impossible. A very well respected BMC / BL collector told me recently that only a halfwit would claim they had the accurate information after all these years.

I’ve stated this before but worth reference. I’ve a Riley Kestrel that was built on Thursday October 6 1966 and the chassis number is R-ASI-4193A.

I’ve a friend who has a Riley Kestrel the same colour built Wednesday October 5 1966 and it has a chassis number R-ASI-9147A.

Both the above are genuine cars let me add.

In fact we have given up trying to understand the sequent numbers that where never in order no matter what some accept as true.

Alan