mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:51 pm 

Hi.

I'm starting my 850 "period fast road" car, and i thought i just founded the right thing to start with. It's supposed to be April 61 built, VIN M/A2S4 L... 60 thousand something car (can't read it all, dirty), but now that i gave a deeper look, i camed across a few things i missed when i first bought it. Gearbox case is 22A145, engine number plate is missing, but the block has raised "850" in big format under mechanic fuel pump mounting place (witch does not use, electric one), external door hinges are brass made, wiper motor has no self stop mechanism, washer bottle sits in the inner wing, near the grill, internal mirror as i never seen before, no roof light, built radius arms, but subframe does have hydro holes, door corner plates are angled and made out of some kind of card (or vinyl, can't realy say) with alloy trim around it and finally some strange rear windows catches (narrow than usual, more square shapped)... Everything else seems to be correct, front single brake cylinder, iron suspention trumpets, floor start button, early seats, etc..., but in your knowledgeable opinion, would all the above features be correct for April 61?
Thanks.

RT

P.S. - I apologize for pictures poor quality, but the car is trapped beteween two others, and i could not get the doors opened. Soon as possible, i'll upload better ones.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:43 pm 

From your description and what can be seen in the pictures, April 61 looks good to me.
The interior mirror is not the original. If the rear subframe is actually hydro, then it was replaced as well.
I'm not sure about the fabricated arms, but I thought they stopped being fitted much earlier (?). Are you sure they're stepped fabricated arms?

The door hinges look alloy to me, maybe that's just the picture.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:49 pm 

I would say that it is a 59 / 60 build, the seat mounting is early model, the front floor pan profile and seat belt fitting would give you a bit more of an idea, the door hinges are early type, the interior mirror is not original, if it is a 59 / 60 the welded rear trumpets could be correct, are the front and rear screen panels recessed, you could look at the switches, they will be dated and also the wiper motor cover plate if it is original will be dated as well. if it is a 59 /60 the way the prices for these have increased over the last couple of years it will be worth more rebuilt to original specification

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:06 pm 

The car is not hydro, it's dry suspention, but subframes have holes for hoses in stead of blank ones as the very early ones. Door hinges are definitely brass (metal turned bright yellow after light scratch-Picture not great) and radius arms are welded type.
I will look for dates in all common places. I just saw another 61' here (quite nice by the way...), wich has exactly the same kind of assembly, so i think this one might be original after all... If that gets confirmed, i will try some other car to carry on with my project, once i intend to replace engine unit, brakes and lots of other parts more, and leave this one for a different kind of rebuilt. A much more "friendly" one for sure! :)
Again, picture far from great, but couldn't do any better today... :(

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:17 pm 

Chassis number 60XXX would put it in late February or early March '61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:10 pm 

Can you give us the FE Number near radiator, and also, does it have hole to pass a fresh air hose, on Bulkhead?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:59 am 

Hi again. Just maneged to get 5 minutes to check it. The FE number is "FE134141" and there is NO fresh air pass...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:34 pm 

Sounds like a genuine car, from first months of 61.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:33 pm 

FE number is middle of March 61.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:37 pm 

bill773mini wrote:
FE number is middle of March 61.

Hi. That sounds about right. The car was first registered in Portugal in 05 of April 61'. It looks pretty much original. :)