mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Patrick Motors Group
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:52 pm 

According to the heritage cert., my 1961 Austin was supplied new to the Patrick Motors Group. Looking online, it looks like they were a distributor as well as a dealer for Austin cars. My car has a Birmingham reg - EOV, so does anyone know if it is likely that Patrick Motors were the supplying dealer, or could it be any of their network?

If it was likely to be Patrick Motors that supplied it - does anyone have a dealer sticker/plate example at all? Is there a good reference for dealer stickers/plates at all that anyone knows of on the internet? Seems like this might be a fairly common thing for classic owners to want to know about and maybe include in a restoration??

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Patrick Motors Group
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:10 pm 

coopersean wrote:
According to the heritage cert., my 1961 Austin was supplied new to the Patrick Motors Group. Looking online, it looks like they were a distributor as well as a dealer for Austin cars. My car has a Birmingham reg - EOV, so does anyone know if it is likely that Patrick Motors were the supplying dealer, or could it be any of their network?

If it was likely to be Patrick Motors that supplied it - does anyone have a dealer sticker/plate example at all? Is there a good reference for dealer stickers/plates at all that anyone knows of on the internet? Seems like this might be a fairly common thing for classic owners to want to know about and maybe include in a restoration??

Thanks.

Partick Motors Group had a fair few dealerships from what I understand, 61 is early as they were very big in the 1970's and 80's in Birmingham, Patrick family had/has a private museum in Kings Norton that I visited as a child as a Singer my Grandfather rallied with the museum curator was in the collection there. They had some SERIOUS cars, all purchased brand new and collected from the factories by the Curator including two Aston Martin V8 Zagato's, Ferrari 288 GTO and many more I can't remember right now. It's still there but I'm not sure whats actually left. I think there was a generic condition in the family which meant there was nobody to hand the collection down too. There was a Patrick dealership half a mile from our house, Mercedes now, not sure what it was before.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:45 am 

Attachment:
patrick motors 001.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:57 am 

jesus, I hope you have some good reinforcers under that parcel shelf for those harnesses.

in a crash it will just rip the panel out!

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:41 pm 

Wifey bought a new '78(?) reg Citrus mini 1000 from Patrick Motors in Birmingham because they had an offer on. They offered a black painted or vinyl roof and a flip-up sunroof plus Dunlop alloys for a few extra ££'s. She made out that she didn't really want the Dunlops but they pushed it and got them at an almost give away price with new SP68's as I recall but kept the old wheels and tyres of course. The main man told me that they'd got the wheels and tyres in a deal with Dunlop nearby

You're right about that parcel shelf - even in a small shunt - unless it was reinforced to the main shell. It'd stand two chances. Slim and none!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:41 pm 

Patrick Motors were founded in the 1930's. They had five sites of their own in Birmingham in the early 1960's but their main site was in B29 (Selly Oak) and as Austin main dealers (not distributors until the mid 1960's) at that time they would have supplied a number of the other Austin dealerships in that south west part of Birmingham. There is no way of knowing if they supplied a particular car to its first owner unless there is a paper trail such as the original Austin guarantee.

Quote:
You're right about that parcel shelf - even in a small shunt - unless it was reinforced to the main shell. It'd stand two chances. Slim and none!

The rear parcel shelf is an excellent place to mount your harnesses so long as you use a suitable spreader plate underneath. All the spot welds attaching the parcel shelf to the bodyshell very effectively spread the strain - I've been in two very heavy front impact shunts both of which wrote off the bodyshell in question and yet there was minimal deformation of the parcel shelf or rear bulkhead despite the harness mounting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:55 pm 

Simon was one of those in Ians car?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:08 pm 

davidnutland wrote:
Simon was one of those in Ians car?
Yes, on the 1999 Rallye Bristowe.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:25 pm 

I remember visiting "The Patrick Motors Collection" probably around 25years ago. A fascinating collection of cars from ordinary to exotic. I believe most of the cars were auctioned off some years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:56 pm 

Simon776 wrote:
The rear parcel shelf is an excellent place to mount your harnesses so long as you use a suitable spreader plate underneath. All the spot welds attaching the parcel shelf to the bodyshell very effectively spread the strain - I've been in two very heavy front impact shunts both of which wrote off the bodyshell in question and yet there was minimal deformation of the parcel shelf or rear bulkhead despite the harness mounting.

the keyword is large spreader plates, well fitted

it was poorly fitted harnesses that did poor john rhodes in, his accident ripped the parcel shelf out the car and pulled the back panel in by about 2-3" - it certainly contributed to him smacking his face into the steering wheel quite hard

later cars are much better as they have the inner c piller parts where the rear belts mount, so the parcel shelf is so much better fitted, but on mk1's its very weak

'long beard boss'