Avon Safety Wheels

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
tomkidd

Avon Safety Wheels

Post by tomkidd »

I've found a set of these in my garage and wondered if anyone knew any more info about when they were made to help me sell them? I am presuming they are 70s?

Classic Mini Steering Drop Brackets here Kiddspeed
chris-pilling

Re: Avon Safety Wheels

Post by chris-pilling »

they would look better on your racer than those s rims
nic

Post by nic »

Are they 10's or 12's?

I swear I have seen some 12's before and if they are I would be interested.

I believe they are from the 70's and were made to have run flat tyres on if my dad's tales are correct/I havent gotten confused
JanWulf

Post by JanWulf »

Not realy a 'run on flat' like the Denovo, but a step towards safe radial tyres. From Wikipedia:

"The Avon Safety Wheel was a new type of wheel for cars, invented by the Avon Tyre Company of Britain in the early 1970s. With the advent of radial tyres, taking over from the older crossply type, it was found that in the event of a puncture or blowout, the tyre would be much more prone to detach from the rim, which would make a bad situation somewhat worse.
The Avon Safety Wheel avoids the detachment of a deflated tyre by having a much shallower central recess within the interior of the wheel. The recess is so shallow that the tyre is prevented from twisting to an angle that would allow it to slip over the edge of the rim, so it is retained. Such a shallow recess would also prevent the fitment of new tyres, if it weren't for the inclusion of a deep channel, allowing the bead of the tyre to enter the channel to permit fitting. The channel is covered by a metal band that is tightened around the wheel after the tyre is fitted but before it is inflated.
The fitting procedure is relatively troublesome and not popular with tyre fitters. This may be one reason that this design of wheel has not been widely adopted, meaning that modern cars are still prone to tyre detachment, though tyre safety itself has improved dramatically in the last 30 years. The Avon Safety Wheel was first used on the 1974 Vauxhall Firenza, and also later on the HS Chevette."

You can't have too many cars. Just too little space...
tomkidd

Post by tomkidd »

chris-pilling wrote:they would look better on your racer than those s rims
I don't think they would mate, they are the wrong era for the look I am going for
Classic Mini Steering Drop Brackets here Kiddspeed
LuisM

Post by LuisM »

Hi all,

i got hold of a nice condition set of Avon wheels, dated 74 made in belgium.
Anyone knows if they can be used without the metal band ? i feel it will just add troubles for the tyre shop.

And anyone use them with S brakes and no flares ? they have ~ET15 according to my measurements... they will probably stick out a bit.

Thanks
Luis
EAVB

Post by EAVB »

I have a set on my wife's clubby estate with S brakes and no arches, they only stick out by about 1/4" and, provided we fit tyres with a rounded shoulder, they are spot on and don't throw dirt over the front wings.

Tom, when you know what you want for them, drop me a pm as I'm interested in another set.

PS you can run them without the bands in if your tyre fitters are lazy, I fit my own so I keep the bands in.
LuisM

Post by LuisM »

I have a set on my wife's clubby estate with S brakes and no arches, they only stick out by about 1/4" and, provided we fit tyres with a rounded shoulder, they are spot on and don't throw dirt over the front wings.

Thanks, appreciate your inputs!
Any chance of posting up a pic ? or send by PM please.

Thanks a lot
Luis
LuisM

Post by LuisM »

One more query reg. these wheels ,
anyone knows the best suitable nuts for them ?
maybe the later rover cooper AJM1139 nuts ?

Thanks
Luis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
colonel mustard

Post by colonel mustard »

Sorry to bring this thread back up!.
Did we ever find out the type of wheel nuts used on these wheels or where to get them from?
TIA