mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Door Mirrors for a Mk1?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:50 am 

Looking for your advice on what is the best suited "Door Mirror" available today to fit on my early 997 Cooper.
Mini Spares have a host of Bullet Mirrors available .. but what is best suited in design or type of Door Mirror(s) from whatever supplier that will be usable but still look OK on a 1961 car ?

I am Not a Purist that my car has to be 100% original.. yet i struggle on our UK Roads today without a good rear view!
(Back in the day i had a drivers door fitted bullet style mirror it was useless, probably because in those days the mirror was flat)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:23 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
Personally I find all door mirrors pretty rubbish on Minis, I don't use any myself, & just turn around a lot. However, I thinkthe stadium type clip on mirror is best, its very original looking & you can actually see stuff out of it.

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/parts_index/mirror Type 981 I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:32 am 

Beware of those clip on ones when buying. I got a cheapo replica one a few years ago, fitted it to the car only to find that the door frame hit the mirror when I opened the door.

Holden have a good selection for browsing through, they even do convex replacement glasses for the popular bullet type that fits through the window catch, look in the Racing Mirror section.

https://www.holden.co.uk/displayAgroups ... me=Mirrors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:19 am 

Saw these on a few cars at IMM and they looked great. Nice and compact like a Downton mirror, but with a proper base and loads of adjustment.

http://www.minispares-online.co.uk/stai ... -mdm01-02/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:31 pm 

I was tempted to fit some period door or wing mirrors a while back but didn't fancy drilling through the metalwork so ended up buying one the Raydot type at Bulee for £15. It works well and is easy to fit, but you do have to file away a bit of the window catch where the nut goes onto the bolt through the sliding glass. It doesn't work so well when you're wafting along with the window slid back though... ;)

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S
1994 Jap Mini 1275 Auto 'project 70s backdate'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:41 pm 

Mine is the Raydot type through the window catch as above... I've found a dome head nut since this photo so it looks better

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:51 pm 

My car has reproduction Lucas, round, flat mirrors on the doors. While working on the doors (prior to painting) I tack welded nut bars on the inside of the door skins so I could use machine screws to attach the mirrors instead of using sheet metal screws. My mirrors don't vibrate "too much" and can be adjusted by sliding the front glass back. They may not be ideal but they don't look out of place and they work.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:01 pm 

mk1 wrote:
Personally I find all door mirrors pretty rubbish on Minis, I don't use any myself, & just turn around a lot. However, I thinkthe stadium type clip on mirror is best, its very original looking & you can actually see stuff out of it.

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/parts_index/mirror Type 981 I think.

That was the solution I came up with too and found most successful. I had tried the Raydyot type which fit to the window catches but found that, as I drive with the window open most of the time, it was useless!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:18 pm 

Does anyone know who does the Bullet type that bolts through the glass as opposed to the Raydot /Downton ish round ones ?
Ta .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:44 pm 

timmy201 wrote:
Mine is the Raydot type through the window catch as above... I've found a dome head nut since this photo so it looks better

This is the setup I have and I find it pretty useless. Can see almost nothing out of it :) Like Mark I just turn around a lot!

I do have a Barnacle on the windscreen that I find very very helpful, though. I've been on the lookout on eBay because I'd like to pick up a second one, but when they come up they are not cheap.

Also still planning on trying to mount the LL Sebring-style mirrors on the door at some point. But my modified Swiftune idea with rare earth magnets hit a bit of a snag because I realized the door skins are alloy :)