mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: BMC Changeover Engines
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:58 pm 

BMC Changeover Engines

I’m writing this after about 25 years trying to date changes that were made to the ADO16 cars (BMC 1100 / 1300 cars). I’ve more or less given up as this seems impossible. I write this as some of our group thought we had dated engines. It has recently come to light that our dating of engines system by crankshaft detail has no relation to block date whatsoever.

The Mini Cooper Register Club claim they have a correct dateline for BMC Cooper cars, I wonder :)

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:01 am 

It's a shame that you can't conclude decisively on this Alan but ado16.info would love to host whatever you have discovered and I'm sure the mk1-performance-modifications website would too :) :) :)

1968 MG 1300 Saloon Connaught Green
1972 Triumph 2.5 PI Estate Royal Blue
1978 Carlight Casetta Caravan
http://carlightrestoration.blogspot.co.uk
1995 Lada Riva 1.5 Estate Cherry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:56 am 

david_rachel wrote:
It's a shame that you can't conclude decisively on this Alan but ado16.info would love to host whatever you have discovered and I'm sure the mk1-performance-modifications website would too :) :) :)

Hello David,

Never say never but the more you research this subject the more you get confused. I’m pleased to say I’ve received a number of messages with good solid information that helps us piece together these changes. The problem is we seem to have the sequence correct but dating accurately when they were made seems an impossible task. Even dating car built dates accurately is questionable and I will give you an example below:-

Two Riley Kestrel 1100 cars registered a day apart in October 1966.

First car built 1 December 1965 - with chassis number R-ASI-4193A first registered on 6 October 1966

The second car built 22 February 1966 – with chassis number R-ASI-9147A first registered 5 October 1966.

With a difference of 4,954 between chassis numbers were BMC building 450 Riley Kestrels per week at Longbridge or Cowley? Even dating when production changed to Cowley is blurred.

Graham Robson in his excellent book The Cars of BMC claims that 21,529 Riley Kestrels were built from 1965 to 1967 which we have no reason to doubt. My query is if BMC built 4,954 Riley Kestrels over an 11 week period things must have slowed down after this run. The other point is that these two cars from build date to registration date took some time from what we see with this example.

It goes without saying we will share all we have on this subject with both ado16 info and this forum.

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:29 pm 

Hello Alan,

I'll email to you Glass's guide with chassis numbers :) :)

1968 MG 1300 Saloon Connaught Green
1972 Triumph 2.5 PI Estate Royal Blue
1978 Carlight Casetta Caravan
http://carlightrestoration.blogspot.co.uk
1995 Lada Riva 1.5 Estate Cherry