Lay shaft for a 333 box

Looking for that elusive part, shout about it here.
Forum rules
1) The advertising of or soliciting for VIN tags, log books or any other vehicle identification documentation without it's associated vehicle is expressly forbidden.

2) If I consider any postings in this section to violate either the spirit or word of this simple request I reserve the right to delete any posts without prior warning or explanation.

Rev 1.1 (27.07.15)
Aginley

Lay shaft for a 333 box

Post by Aginley »

As per title. After a nos lay shaft for a 333 box
Thanks

CooperTune

Re: Lay shaft for a 333 box

Post by CooperTune »

Not that I have one to offer but what part # are you after? I'm sure there are at least two possible. Steve (CTR)

whistler

Post by whistler »

Have you talked to John Guess about this?

mk1
Site Admin
Location: In the Herb Garden (Somewhere in the North of England)

Post by mk1 »

Give Rich at MS a ring Al.
Mark F
"I'm a very friendly Lion called Parsley".

Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »

I used the Minispares C-22A1731 with their 22G1100 laygear for my 333 build with no issues during assembly.

Just make sure if using the new longer type needle roller bearings that you get the retainer circlips in the right place.
(two fitted to the inner-most grooves, none in the outer grooves)

kit of bits

Post by kit of bits »

I bought one from the eBay chap in Spain £ ouch..
D

Aginley

Post by Aginley »

Thanks for the replies, think I need the gear too. Only very minor pitting but better safe than sorry while it’s stripped down.

Tedwong

Post by Tedwong »

iain1967s wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:25 pm
I used the Minispares C-22A1731 with their 22G1100 laygear for my 333 build with no issues during assembly.

Just make sure if using the new longer type needle roller bearings that you get the retainer circlips in the right place.
(two fitted to the inner-most grooves, none in the outer grooves)
May I ask is it only 22G1100 laygear need those circlips to retain the bearings? As I just assemble my 3-synchro straight cut laygear and can't recall I used or needed any circlips at all!

Ted

iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »

22G1100 helical laygears from MS etc. have both grooves machined, so either arrangement of long bearing, or short bearing + spacer, can be used. I don't know about other laygears, but there seem to have been two basic styles.

The earlier laygears used an inner circlip, then a spacer, then a short bearing, then an outer circlip to capture the bearing inside the laygear as a complete assembly. Most of the workshop manuals and websites show this arrangement in their assembly diagrams.

The later type used the inner circlip with a longer bearing and no spacer. These longer bearings 'float' against the thrust washers on the outer ends, and do not use the outer circlip. I posted a corrected diagram on this thread: viewtopic.php?p=227859#p227859

Caution: When the laygear with the longer floating type bearings was first introduced, it had no outer circlip groove machined. Those laygear used a slightly different longer bearing type but with narrower cage ends and rollers that extend almost to the end of the cage. Don't use those transitional bearings on a modern laygear which has the outer groove, because the rollers running over that groove can cause premature bearing failure.

[There was a discussion about it previously from someone else on here I think... most of the currently available longer bearing have wider cage ends and slightly shorter rollers, so they don't run into the area of the unused outer circlip groove. It's pretty obvious when you come to assemble whether you have the correct bearing type.]