Number plate letters

Looking for that elusive part, shout about it here.
Forum rules
1) The advertising of or soliciting for VIN tags, log books or any other vehicle identification documentation without it's associated vehicle is expressly forbidden.

2) If I consider any postings in this section to violate either the spirit or word of this simple request I reserve the right to delete any posts without prior warning or explanation.

Rev 1.1 (27.07.15)
kit of bits

Re: Number plate letters

Post by kit of bits »

My letters are very grey in colour I’m unsure if they started white and have aged grey or startled silver and aged grey.
Any 2nd hand ones?
Thanks D

Andrew1967

Post by Andrew1967 »

If you get stuck for any Dave, let me know and I'll check out the stash of used digits/letters that are at the parts department, next time I'm over.

360gts

Post by 360gts »

Just received a note from the company who makes the ACE plates...unfortunately, they cannot reproduce the 3 1/8" digits.....
So, faced with removing the digits and refinishing them....only problem is the way they are attached to the plate.
They have studs that are flattened on the back side of the plate.
Anyone done this refurb on rivet style digits? Fussing with how to re-attach them!

66Traveller

Post by 66Traveller »

Its a laborious process but possible - I had Ace plates on my Crayford 1070 PP which I refurbished by removing the digits from the backings vapour blasting and repainting then reattaching. The trick is to go round the outside of each of the flattened stud ends on the back of the plate with a screw driver and try to gently lever the edges up (the reverse of what was done to it when the plate was made and they were flattened with a punching tool. Takes a long time but essential if you are to have anything to reattach the digit with. New old stock digits do occasionally turn up. When refitting second hand ones I'd use some epoxy. If there is nothing left to flatten on the stud then you can very carefully drill it with a fine drill and use a very small self tapper and washer...

66Traveller

Post by 66Traveller »

woodypup59 wrote:66Traveller of this parish may be able to help if you want Hills plates ?
I can indeed if required!

360gts

Post by 360gts »

Been working on the restoration of my ACE plates. Have most of the digits completed. Was able to remove them from the plates and save the studs.
Pried the flared stud up....then, using pliers I was able squeeze the flared stud back to a nice circular stud for reuse.
Plates are next.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

360gts

Post by 360gts »

Taken some time...but, I have the plates ready for final fixing of the numerals. I was able to remove the numerals without sacrificing the rivets on the back. Now it's a careful job of re-riveting them back onto the restored plates.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AndyB72

Post by AndyB72 »

They looks superb, well worth the effort. I've done the rear one on mine, still need to finish the front one.

360gts

Post by 360gts »

AndyB72 wrote:They looks superb, well worth the effort. I've done the rear one on mine, still need to finish the front one.
Thanks Andy...always nice to get feedback.
As you say...well worth the effort.
Cheers
D

66Traveller

Post by 66Traveller »

Excellent job - and well worth the effort.