mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

1) The advertising of or soliciting for VIN tags, log books or any other vehicle identification documentation without it's associated vehicle is expressly forbidden.

2) If I consider any postings in this section to violate either the spirit or word of this simple request I reserve the right to delete any posts without prior warning or explanation.

Rev 1.1 (27.07.15)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:59 pm 

A friend is finally getting Dad’s Moke done. In need of a master cylinder, starter, carburetor and wiper motor. First three are of immediate criticality. We’re here in the Northeast US but I doubt I’ll be able to source any of it locally.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:47 am 

Not sure if you've tried here yet, but there is an Australian Moke forum that might be able to help you out.
https://www.mokeforum.com.au/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:21 am 

Great. I’ll give them a try, too. Was kind of hoping the parts wouldn’t necessarily be Australia specific as I know some parts were locally sourced but not sure of what exactly. Which is what makes the forum so great. All of that knowledge is here to dispel and correct my ignorance :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:42 am 

The question I would have is are the carb and master cylinder standard SU and Lockheed stock? Do we need to source them from Australia or would they have been British?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:37 am 

A 1973 Aussie Moke would have had a locally made master like this
https://minikingdomonline.com.au/produc ... ange-copy/

I think the carb would be a standard HS2 SU the same as the UK. I guess it depends on how original you want to restore the Moke, if you want it to be as it left the Australian factory there was a significant amount of local content and much of that would need to sourced here

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:09 am 

He would like to keep it period. But the 1275 in it is not the original motor it will never be 100%. So some allowance can be made.

Thanks for the Pinter in the master cylinder. Out of stock but it looks like Minimania sells the Australian style reservoir separately.

Seems the wiper motor is also unique to Australian models too?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:50 am 

Zach, if your friend is in New England, point him towards the NEMO group. Our local members might have some of those parts available. Or he can post a wanted ad on the group Facebook marketplace. https://www.facebook.com/groups/321048765113176/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:53 pm 

Being a 1973 it could be a standard Moke or a Californian (sometimes referred to as an Export).

These are both totally different in just about every part on the car. Parts that are unique to the 'Export' are well and truly NLA. There was only a small number of these Mokes made and so any used parts you'll come across are nearly always little more than junk.

Parts for the 'standard' Moke of the era are fairly easy to come by.

While I don't like steering traffic away from the forum, there's also another Moke Forum here;-

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/fo ... moke-shop/