Early 1970 Austin Mini Clubman Automatic

Want to sell something? Here's the place to list it for free! (DIRECT SALES / SWAPS) No ebay links please.
Forum rules
For Sale Section Rules

PLEASE NOTE! Postings in this section are deleted automatically after they have not been looked at for 30 days.

1) This section is for advertising items that you have for sale. Not for the discussion of listed items. If you wish to debate the pro's & Con's of any item listed, please start a new topic in the appropriate section.

2) Please DO NOT post links to your ebay auctions. This section is NOT for the advertisement of your ebay auctions.

3) If you have a number of items to sell, post them in a single ad marked "Multiple Parts" or similar. DO NOT post many individual advertisements as this forces everyone else's listings down the page.

4) It is expected that any items advertised on the forum are described fairly & honestly. It is the duty of the seller to ensure that this is the case.

5) Items listed for sale should WHEREVER POSSIBLE* be offered with a purchase price, not asking for bids from members. If you wish to auction your item to the highest bidder I would suggest you use ebay & pay the associated fees.

6) This section is offered as a free service to enthusiasts. Any deals made are between the buyer & seller only. The MK1 forum takes no part in any transaction & the appearance of any item in this section is not a recommendation. I strongly suggest that both buyers & sellers are happy to proceed with a deal before any money or goods change hands.

7) It expected that people posting items for sale are "Active Members of this community". Any Adverts placed by members with a post count lower than 5 will be deleted.

8) The advertising of or soliciting for VIN tags, log books or any other vehicle identification documentation without it's associated vehicle is expressly forbidden. Any member breaking this rule will have his membership terminated with immediate effect.

9) If a moderator considers any postings in this section to violate either the spirit or word of these simple requests the MK1 Forum reserves the right to delete any posts without prior warning or explanation.

10) The posting of items for sale on the MK1 forum constitutes explicit acceptance of these simple rules.

It would be much appreciated if sellers could leave the sale price on adverts after the item has been sold. This acts as a good measure of current value for other sellers.

* In some cases it may not be possible for the seller to list items with a sale price. In this case, listings will be reviewed on a case by case basis by a moderator. The moderators decision will be final.

Mark S Forster
(MK1 Performance Conversions)
Rev 2.10 (06.10.20)
alexm

Early 1970 Austin Mini Clubman Automatic

Post by alexm »

I am looking for a new home for my early 1970 glacier white Clubman Saloon having carried out a sympathetic but thorough restoration over the past two years. The car is one of 46 remaining Austin Mini Clubman automatic saloons. One of 5 from 1970, and highly likely the oldest remaining. It's probably one of the earliest roadworthy Clubmans taking manuals into account, as 69s are like hens teeth.

The car was built February 2nd 1970 and despatched to Autopalace, Llandrindod Wells, mid Wales before going off up to a G.E.Evans, a BMC dealer in Snowdonia. I have two BMC headed letters to the new owner from the supplying dealer confirming order and confirming the car was ready. I also have a copy of the factory order form and a heritage certificate. The car has a lovely paperwork history and lots of receipts from the previous owner and my ownership.

The car is running its original 998cc engine and is fitted with the early AP1 4 speed auto gearbox. It is also still running its original hydrolastic suspension. This all makes for a really smooth drive. The car is still only on 41k miles with mots and service stamps in the original passport to service booklet to support this. It is 4 weeks away from being a 60s clubman, it has a few parts from the mk2 part bin. 69 dated glass, chrome switch gear and central ignition, early interior light, copper top radiator and a couple of late 69 engine ancillaries. It also has the bonnet stay on the passengers side, an early clubman feature. The car is standard apart from 5 x 10 GB minilites which the 2nd owner fitted and I quite liked. I fitted a Cooper freeflow manifold, RC40 and alloy inlet. Original manifold and a set of 10" steels with clubman hubcaps included in sale. Note, the steering wheel in the photos below is now off and replaced with a really good original Clubman wheel.

I am the 3rd owner. The original owner (oldest lady in Wales at the time of her death) bought the car in her mid 60s and then gave the car to her grandson in the late 80s when she hung up her driving gloves! The second owner and his wife ran the car happily until 2007, when it was tucked away. It popped up on eBay early 2017 and I got in there first.

The interior is in amazing condition and all I had to do was fit a Newton Commercial carpet set. Both subframes are original and were completely stripped and refurbed. The engine and box were removed, degreased and repainted in BMC green and given a major service. The engine bay was freshened too. All brakes pipes and linings were changed and a new master cylinder fitted. Bodywise the car was solid but tired. It had new sills and jacking point repairs. One A-panel, a scuttle corner and a driver's side floor only because it had been jacked up and badly repaired. It has approx. 60% original paint and therefore has a few blemishes in line with it being 50 years old. This gives lovely patina. The whole underside was stripped back and covered in white Shultz underseal which is a nice colour match with the body.

The car has featured in the British Mini Club quarterly magazine and has had an 8 page feature in Miniworld magazine this easter.

I'm looking to find a good home for the car. It drives very sweetly, the gearbox works well and happily runs manually. It cruises very nicely at 50mph.

Asking price is £8,495 o.n.o. I would gladly consider a project and cash my way (Mk1, 2 or 3 project)
Nellie 2 Small.jpg
Nellie 3 Small.jpg
Nellie 1 Small.jpg
Nellie 6 Small.jpg
Nellie 7 Small.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alexm

Re: Early 1970 Austin Mini Clubman Automatic

Post by alexm »

Car is now sold