mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:03 pm 

Pete wrote:
Know this one Jens ? W&P or not ?

I worked on this car around 16 years ago. I had just been painted red and needed some reassembly. It is left hand drive and was originally from France. It had the rear bulkhead cut out and the rear seat folded down for extra carrying capacity. There was evidence that it was formerly black with a red vinyl top with matching sunroof.
I admired how the demister ducts were riveted to the dash rail so that the captured nuts could be used to hold the dashboard on, such a simple solution. I also remember the electric window actuators were General Motors Delco-Remy units and were more than up to the task.
The original Cibie headlights with yellow bulbs were in sad shape and needed the reflectors re-silvered. They were left with the owner to send off and have this done and I installed the sealed beams seen here as a crude temporary fix so the car could be shown. It’s a shame that the original lights never made it back on the car.
The last time I saw it, it was still in northern California and it had not had a fire but that was still many years ago.
Derek

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:29 am 

TuttSpeed wrote:

I worked on this car around 16 years ago. I had just been painted red and needed some reassembly. It is left hand drive and was originally from France. It had the rear bulkhead cut out and the rear seat folded down for extra carrying capacity. There was evidence that it was formerly black with a red vinyl top with matching sunroof.
I admired how the demister ducts were riveted to the dash rail so that the captured nuts could be used to hold the dashboard on, such a simple solution. I also remember the electric window actuators were General Motors Delco-Remy units and were more than up to the task.
The original Cibie headlights with yellow bulbs were in sad shape and needed the reflectors re-silvered. They were left with the owner to send off and have this done and I installed the sealed beams seen here as a crude temporary fix so the car could be shown. It’s a shame that the original lights never made it back on the car.
The last time I saw it, it was still in northern California and it had not had a fire but that was still many years ago.
Derek

Hi Derek,

sounds like it looked much better before 8-) flat Red is not the right colour for a Coachbuilt car (personal opinion)
it should atleast have been some kind of Rolls Royce metallic Red .

Yes the motors are from a Jaguar XJ6 series 1, they do seem very BIG :o
But they do work well ;)

Yes its a shame the original (and very rare) headlights didnt go back on the car :roll:

I only heard the story about the fire from Nick, maybe its not the same car ?

Jens Christian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:59 pm 

Mini Clubman Gt Wood & Pickett
Quote:
“Mini Clubman Gt Wooden Picket For Spares Or Repair”
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Clubman- ... 1011752574

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:10 pm 

I'm still surprised these cars get broken for parts but it's quite common. Even Elton John's !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:06 pm 

Pete wrote:
I'm still surprised these cars get broken for parts but it's quite common. Even Elton John's !

Yes, and later on people will realize, that a interesting part of British automotive history is gone forever :roll:
just like the Turbo conversions from JanSpeed, and Turbo technics.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:01 pm 

Evening folks, someone was asking for earlier shots of John Hammel's Mk2 S, I took these at Stoneleigh back in '99.... I couldn't take my eyes off it, what a beautiful car....!

It's been a while since I've been able to load anything up online so fingers crossed...

Attachment:
ABC# MINI W&P1.jpg

Attachment:
ABC# MINI W&P2.jpg

Attachment:
ABC# MINI W&P3.jpg

Attachment:
ABC# MINI W&P4.jpg

Attachment:
ABC# MINI W&P5.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:54 pm 

It is indeed a beautiful car... 8-)
Thanks for posting!

I always liked the Waso pentagon shaped petrol caps, I have an original matching pair on my own Mini.
They are still manufactured in Sweden by Waso AB......never understood why no one imports them to the UK today for the classic car market?
http://www.waso.se/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:42 am 

mab01uk wrote:
Thanks for posting!

I always liked the Waso pentagon shaped petrol caps, I have an original matching pair on my own Mini.
They are still manufactured in Sweden by Waso AB......never understood why no one imports them to the UK today for the classic car market?

...yes indeed mab its one of the finest examples of a period modded S...I to think the waso,s are the nicest locking petrol caps.. with key locks or without...I have owned 3 pairs over the years and they seem to be getting scarcer...I made the comment on a prev thread a local chap has one (monogramed with the Volvo badge on his 68 reg 144.....I didn't know they were still made though ??!!....foxy52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:33 pm 

mab01uk wrote:
Thanks for posting!

I did take some more photos of it that day, close up stuff for the all important details but I can't find them at the moment. It stood out like a sore thumb amongst the other cars and I've always fancied having something similar.... my Mk2 S is nearing the end of it's restoration now (been away since 24th September last year) and it won't be Island Blue / Snowberry white when it comes back home, it'll look a bit like the Jeff Banks car colour wise ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:03 pm 

UWD 672G wrote:

I did take some more photos of it that day, close up stuff for the all important details but I can't find them at the moment.

Here you go, Beaulieu 2011.

Correct WP enamel & chrome badge =

The early Margrave dash =

Back then, WP didnt make steering wheel center/gear lever knobs, these came later.

Jens Christian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next