mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:03 pm 

hi sirs,
my name is ink, 32 years old from bangkok, thailand. i am running a small construction material shop in here. a life is like day-to-day selling of 50kg cement bags with both hands, no fancy equipment or lifter. i have been interested in classic mini since 15 years old. the possible affordable mini at that time was mini clubman at 900gbp. the cheapest price i could see in the market with average condition. after that, i had a chance to study in australia, so that, i had some expeiences with morris mini matic and morris 850. however, when i came back to thailand, everything changed. the price of minis went up from 900gbo to almost 8,000gbp for poor clubman. it is like gold! OMG! i spent a while to save the money and bought 1961 morris mini but the car was in poor condition from bad rust repaire in the past and she is still being poor T_T. i was spending a lot of money to hire local panel beater and mechanics but it was more worse due to unprofessional jobs abd behaviours. i now decide to do it by myself when i have times and budget. by the way, i am still lucky to have my aussie friend to help on the mechanic thing via email, mk1 site for knowlege and mini part supplier like m machine and sommerford.

thank you all so much

warm regards
ink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:20 pm 

I'm Dean, Im 43 and I live in in Sheffield. I'm a Behaviour Management Consultant and Team Teach Principal Tutor (That won't mean much to most of you). A year ago I had a midlife crisis and decided to a classic car. I wanted a 911 Porsche but couldn't find one for the right money. A friend and colleague of mine (coopertim) said I should buy a mini? I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do but coopertim kept sending me pictures of minis I should buy. One evening whist I was working in Manchester Tim contacted me and told me he had found the perfect car UPR 65, the car was somewhere near Manchester the next day I went to look at the car that was been sold by Pete Flanagan. When I saw the car I thought it just looked like a pile of bits and pieces and couldn't see the attraction but Pete and Tim seemed to know what they were talking about so I bought it. Pete gave me the contact details of Nick Rodgers who Just happened to live around the corner from me. Nick came to see the car and I asked him to point out anything the wasn't original, Nick give me a small list (as the majority of the car was original). I spent the next 6 months rebuilding the car and sourcing original parts (with the help of my local expert). UPR was finished in time for Blyton where it won best mini (to my complete surprise). I took the car to three more show this year and it won two of them. A few weeks ago I bought another mini from Pete Flanagan a gorgeous Mk3 Cooper S barn find FTX. My 9 year old son and I got stuck in last weekend stripping down FTX. Its a slow process but we are loving every second. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:44 pm 

I am Paul and am 53. I hail from Holland Michigan on the other side of the pond from most of you. I am an engineer for a company that does production powder coating for the contract office furniture industry.
I first got into British cars at the tender age of 16 when I bought a 1966 Austin Healey Sprite as my 1st car. I did a full restoration on that car while in high school and drove it all through my university years. Following the Sprite I owned a few BMW 2002's but always had a longing for another Brit car.
I bought my 1st Mini ( a 64 1071 S ) in 1992. Since then I have owned quite a few and still have 5.
My garage/shop is full, neigh unto overflowing with the following:
1964 1071 S
1965 1275 S
1966 Shorrock blown 998 Countryman
1978 Pickup
1978 1000

In addition to the Minis, I also own a 1973 Land Rover Series 3 88 and like a few others on here have a Lambretta scooter (61 LI 125)
I have bought and sold a number parts through the MK1 forum over the years and I have to say that all of my dealings have been a pleasure.
This is a great community of enthusiast and I am blessed to be a part of it.
Cheers,

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:50 pm 

Hi, Im Oli, I'm 22 from Wiltshire, and I bought my 1st mini when I was 10 which I'm still rebuilding now.

I paid £50 for it off a local farmer and had my dad collect it, owned about 14 in total buying and selling them to fund my project, aged 16 I realised my mini wouldn't be finished in time for me to drive so bought a clubby estate, which I then spent all my money on, and my project stayed under a sheet. Decide to follow my dream, and joined the royal marines, dislocated my knee badly which put an end to that.

So over the last year the sheets been removed and hopefully it'll finally be finished for April next year. I'm now a tyre fitter (which I despise), love cars and appreciate all scenes, and love being outdoors.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:46 pm 

Hello all
My name is Ollie Critchley, 36 years old, father of three small boys and husband to patient wife. I have spent most of my life working as a stonemason/stonecarver/conservator. I work only at Gloucester Cathedral and am employed directly by the C of E.
I’ve had loads of mini’s mostly mk3’s but regretfully gave up on one as my daily drive nearly 9 years ago as I just didn’t have time to maintain it properly anymore. After the birth of our second son I decided I’d really had enough of driving modern soulless cars and bought myself a mk2 on ebay. It was a hasty decision but I had a plan to tidy up the body shell and transfer some of the bits I’d been hoarding in my mother’s garage for years and use it as my transport when not travelling with the family. What a mistake, I paid far too much for it buying it blind based on a blurred picture and a couple of telephone conversations. As soon as I got the car home it was obvious I’d bought a pile of scrap but stubbornly decided to plough on anyway, I’ve spent the last 2 years working a few hours most Saturdays welding it all up.
Since then I’ve added a rather sorry looking 71 clubman to my assets but I have fitted my old MED 1380 to it. The early 1275GT’s and Clubman’s definitely are my minis of choice since selling my 72 black tulip and geranium 1275GT when I was younger, I still miss you KYC 344K.
We recently bought an old (read knackered) house and my wife gave birth to our third son so I’m busy 7 days a week and flat broke, I WILL get back to the mk2 soon... not too much more welding to do... still living the dream.
Thank you mk1 performance conversions and to all contributors, there is so much knowledge here. I really wouldn’t have been able to get my mini to where it is without this awesome website and all the friendly advice that has been given.
Cheers, Ollie

Last edited by Ollie78 on Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:59 pm 

hello
my name is peter,i am 45 and as most people i have had mini's all my life.my current mini is a 1967 mk1 cooper which i have owned for 24 years,i restored it 2 years ago and completed my trip of a life time,driving to the italian IMM and also driving to turin on the way home and driving on the lingotto factory roof,this was my italian job.
allthough my car is standard i do think that they are there to be driven,having compleated 8,000 miles since last year.
i live in south cumbria so its always a long drive whenever i go anywhere
i am a motor mechanic by trade so its great to work on cars with points and carbs rather than plug a computer into it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:13 pm 

Hi there,

My name is nick, owner if redshed a scruffy battered mk2 mini in tartan red. Mine for the last 16 years, was last seen running a v hot 1050cc cooper engine. Currently awaiting paint after some panels, basically everything between the head lights and the tail lights. Kept the floors and a few other scruffy bits as they were sound I fitted them.

Live in south lakes and build computer systems for corporate customers when I'm not out at play. Aged 36 and father to young son Isaac and husband to wife Claire.

Also have a soft spot for our type 2 v dub.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:19 pm 

Posting on a phone from a Manchester curry house. Spell check would have helped!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:08 pm 

This thread sounds like a Alcoholics anonymous meeting!!
Hi my names Paul Edmunds and I'm a mini addict! Ive owned mini's or derivations of minis for over 45 years, the longest withdrawal I've had is for 2 years when I first moved to the States from Putney London. At which time I found a perfect original 997 cooper green with a white roof I was back in heaven! it was soon modified into a mustang eater...........Still have a ticket for that car for doing 99mph through the San Gabriel mountains although the cop said he was being nice for not writing the ticket for over 100MPH which would have had the car towed and me spending time at the jail!! I own and run a British car restoration business at Sonoma Raceway (Sears Point, Infineon raceway) I grass track raced a mini back in the seventies and built an 8 port 1600 59 mini back in the 70's for rallycross but never got to drive it in anger as our partner ran off with all the money to get married.........Plonker...........my 1st mini was a 59 blue 850 which soon got kitted out in all the latest go faster goodies! and from there I've had all sorts of mini's over the years and must say my favorite of all was a 1380 full race engined 71 mini Marcos Reg number CHY 1K Any body know if it still exists? At present I have Three mini's all in states of disrepair a early 60 US import 850 a 67 MKII 1275 cooper 's' and a 73 Australian car of dubious bits and pieces.

In Putney at the time there were a number of shops dealing with Minis, I cannot remember names from back there but I do remember a Pete who had a shop on Putney bridge road who moved to Morden I think it was and also a Character called Andy Judge who taught me about mini's and various method's of making Oxy/Acetylene bomb's!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:22 am 

Howzit guys

Sean Brennan

Ex Northern Irishman, left NI when I was 12, and 46 now, so born in the GB, but bread and buttered in Durban, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa !

1st Mini experience was in Co. Down N.I. and was my Gran's old red Traveller - I just loved to sit in the "boot". Musta been all of 5 or 6.

Bought my first Mini in 1987, it was a 1977 Mini GTS (the 55kW South African version - 74bhp)

and had one ever since.

Been back to the UK for he Mini 40 and the Mini 50 as well as the 1998 Mini in the Park and HOPEFULLY the Mk1 track day in 2015.

Have met and made good friends with many a Mini fan whilst over in the UK for visits, and two good mates for life would def be Mark F himself as well as our very own Guru Rich !

With Marks help I set up the SA Mini forum (www.mini-kzn.co.za) and am still very active with the local Mini scene.

I have my only owned 6 Minis.

2 GTS's which have gone onto other homes.
1 x Mk1 that was stripped for spares as it was rotten
1 x Mk3 1100 DL rolling shell which I just sold
1 x 1275e clubman currently (about 6 years worth) getting a Toyota 1600cc 20valve conversion
AND lastly
1 x 1978 1100 DL with its lovely 1380, Mini Spares 4 pots and 6.5x10 Force racing split rims.

That's about it for now.

Thanks Mark

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next