mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:02 pm 

I've re read it now and answered my own question! So who re-cut the outer rim? Or have you just polished them?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:01 am 

999 ORX wrote:
I noticed your stiletto is it? In the background.. Very smart! I saw a very similar one at a show in southport once? Are you a fellow lancastrian? so are you rims on your mini brand newies or refurbished ones? I think I've missed that somewhere!?

Yeah that is my Stiletto. Again there are plenty of photo's of that in my Introduction thread on here, but i will add another one here seeing as you asked! I have an Imp van too; rare these days. The Mini should compliment them well i hope :)

I'm based in Lichfield, Staffs. I had both sets of JAP's refurbished by a company called 'spit and polish' whom i saw advertised in Retrocars magazine. Top job, and a very swift turn-around too.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

83 Ultra Burner
83 Birmingham WHEELS Expert
84 Birmingham WHEELS Cruiser
84 Ammaco Freestyle Pro
84 SuperTUFF Burner
00 Lotus Elise Sport160

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:03 am 

Ooof I like an imp and a stiletto even more so! Those two are both great examples, you have a nice collection there!

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:49 pm 

mab01uk wrote:
Love the 6x10 JA Pearce Magna wheels with Spinners on this Mini at Beaulieu. 8-)

(Photo: UWD 672G)

Can anyone tell me what arches these are? and any tips for fitting securing the chrome arch trim (flat or deluxe?) over arches. Back in the 1970's mine was always falling off!

These look similar from JA Pearce website:

http://japearceengineering.com/products/magna-wheels/

..when all said and done I think BYN looks the dogs !!!!..but I to cant believe the prices for JA Pearce or colloquially known as Jap Magna,s ....spinners or no spinners.. mind blowing !!!!.. good thread this one I read with interest.... ill stick to my orig D1,s.. Cosmics of the late 60,s come close .. foxy52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:34 am 

foxy52 wrote:
..when all said and done I think BYN looks the dogs !!!!..but I to cant believe the prices for JA Pearce or colloquially known as Jap Magna,s ....spinners or no spinners.. mind blowing !!!!.. good thread this one I read with interest.... ill stick to my orig D1,s.. Cosmics of the late 60,s come close .. foxy52

Yeah, I like the way BYN looks in that photo also!

I was a little shocked when i started hunting down the JAP's for our Mini; I really like the brand and the fact that they aren't seen all that often and basically went looking for a set because i already had the 13inch set for my Imp and wanted to carry that pattern on. I picked up the Imp set for a snip off eBay - in fact I sold the tyres on that they came with for more than i paid for the wheels and tyres combined, so a real bargain!!

When the Mini set came up there were a lot of bidders, lots of questions about them posted to the seller and basically a lot of interest and demand. I suppose there is a much larger market for Mini items, especially rarer period parts. I am finding out very quickly that prices can get a little crazy for the simplest of things. :shock: I've already cleared a space in the garage for the Mini once it arrives at ours as there's no way it is ever getting left outside overnight!!!

I would imagine that the types of owners who are specifically looking for something like a set of JAP's will want original items rather than the repop versions, particularly when a good set of originals are about half of the price of a reproduction set. I guess it is just a case of patiently hunting down the right wheels with the correct pattern and offset for your taste.

83 Ultra Burner
84 Ammaco Freestyle Pro
84 SuperTUFF Burner
00 Lotus Elise Sport160

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:07 am 

dinglem wrote:
foxy52 wrote:

Yeah, I like the way BYN looks in that photo also!

I was a little shocked when i started hunting down the JAP's for our Mini; I really like the brand and the fact that they aren't seen all that often and basically went looking for a set because i already had the 13inch set for my Imp and wanted to carry that pattern on. I picked up the Imp set for a snip off eBay - in fact I sold the tyres on that they came with for more than i paid for the wheels and tyres combined, so a real bargain!!

When the Mini set came up there were a lot of bidders, lots of questions about them posted to the seller and basically a lot of interest and demand. I suppose there is a much larger market for Mini items, especially rarer period parts. I am finding out very quickly that prices can get a little crazy for the simplest of things. :shock: I've already cleared a space in the garage for the Mini once it arrives at ours as there's no way it is ever getting left outside overnight!!!

I would imagine that the types of owners who are specifically looking for something like a set of JAP's will want original items rather than the repop versions, particularly when a good set of originals are about half of the price of a reproduction set. I guess it is just a case of patiently hunting down the right wheels with the correct pattern and offset for your taste.

I'd agree - I think it's worth having the patience to hunt down a decent matching set and getting them refurbished, even if you have to buy two sets to get one decent one it's cheaper than buying them new. I'm beginning to wish I hadn't taken that shot of 'BYN..' though, I keep looking at it and thinking I'd like to get another late 60s / early 70s Mini and do something similar! Not only that but I've been looking at photos of Gordon Keeble GTs with various styles of JAPs on and it's got me wondering if they'd fit my Rover P5B... :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:47 pm 

I met and old guy who used to race Mini all over southern Africa in the late 60's / 70's and 80s.

And he has 2 of these in his garage, 7 x 12 and also 2 7x12 Mag Mini lites, and i can't persuade him to let them go.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:23 am 

Love JAP wheels... I particularly like it when they are the original gold colour... Mmmm! Would love a set on my mini, or my A 35 even!!

That black mk3 looks amazing! Jealous!

Ed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:52 am 

Sean, I could take a couple more 7x12 Minilite mags ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:46 pm 

These are the centre caps we have made, as i mentioned earlier on in the thread. First one in, 4 more to go....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

83 Ultra Burner
84 Ammaco Freestyle Pro
84 SuperTUFF Burner
00 Lotus Elise Sport160

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next