mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:42 am 

Had a message from PayPal /ebay they will start charging Tax from November .. so we better get that ebay stuff listed now or have i got this wrong?
Tax Man is on the case so i suppose we do need to pay :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:00 am 
Site Admin

I got one too, It referred to "Sales tax" & came from ebay.com

I assume like me you registered with ebay.com (USA) at some point in the past as I can only assume that this was directed at people in the continental US as in Europe we don't have "Sales Tax" we have VAT.

Sellers in the EU are not subject to any sort of Tax liability if they are selling their own private possessions on a non commercial basis. If you are selling commercially on ebay, you should already be registered as a trade seller & may or may not already be liable for tax.

I have just re read the email & the link goes here

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees- ... 1#section4

All references are to US based sellers.

"In 2018, PayPal and eBay worked together to implement a solution to comply with tax laws that require eBay to collect and remit sales tax. Transactions that require eBay to collect sales tax are currently divided into two separate charges: one for the item purchased and another for the associated sales tax.

Starting in November 2019, PayPal and eBay will change the way these transactions are processed and how taxes are collected and remitted.

Where eBay is required to collect tax from buyers, the tax amount will be included in the gross purchase amount to be processed. Once settled, the tax amount will be automatically deducted for remittance to the applicable taxing authority.

You don't need to take any action."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:49 am 

Sounds like a nice little extra earner from Epay. They collect from you and then decide whether they have to pass it on...... When I lived in the US you did not pay State sales tax on an item if you bought it from another State.. unless the seller had a store in your State.

My wife used to sell expensive dresses and ladies would pay freight to have it shipped interstate (generally to their husband’s work address) in lieu of paying the VA state tax (and all perfectly legal:).

It is not unknown for entities such as DHL etc to charge Customs Duty .. on items that are duty free....

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:14 am 

Yes, it’s a USA thing. States are getting wise to the tax-free interstate shipping loophole.

From eBay.com:

As you may be aware, 11 new states have adopted Internet Sales Tax policies as of October 1, bringing the total to 34 states that now require the collection of sales tax. As the impact of this tax law becomes more apparent, PayPal and eBay are making changes that will make Internet Sales Tax collection less complex for buyers and for you.

Starting in November 2019, the way taxable transactions are processed and how taxes are collected for remittance will change, as follows:
In states where eBay is required to collect Internet Sales Tax from buyers, order totals sent for processing will reflect the gross order amount inclusive of tax.
Once settled, the tax amount will be automatically deducted for remittance to the applicable taxing authority.
A record of the sales tax portion of the order will be available on the Seller Hub Order details page and through our Download order report.
Please note the applicable tax will continue to be paid by the buyer and you do not need to take any action.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:39 am 

It's also the same in Australia, but luckily for them the delivery address includes a code to say the tax has been paid. Not so for the US which means some may get charged twice if buying from private sellers that do not include an invoice.