Stewart & Ardern, Morris House, Ilford

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
georgek

Re: Stewart & Ardern, Morris House, Ilford

Post by georgek »

Pandora wrote:Hmmmmm. as I live and work in Edinburgh I'm not sure I'd agree with bringing back the trams! :lol:
Perhaps if you had double deckers it would be better!!! :lol:
hanlminiman
Location: Still in a Car Home in North Cotswolds, close to Prescott Hill Climb & Stratford upon Avon UK

Post by hanlminiman »

I remember the building very well from my youth when trams were replaced by trolley buses. Just along the road opposite Seven Kings Station was a motorsport parts shop run by a local competitor which was very popular in the 1960's and a bit further along the road was Brown & Geeson (I think I've got name right). I cannot remember the number of times I went in to those shops for goodies and chatted to the local rally drivers for advice :). Happy days!
http://www.brownandgeeson.com/brown-geeson-history.htm
Pete

Post by Pete »

What a beautiful building and yes looks a bag of sh*t now doesn't it. Great thread idea, let's see some more period dealership photos ! 8-) By the way how many S&A showrooms were there in London ?
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

Very interesting.

My 1960 850, 583 WHK, was despatched to Stewart & Ardern but was sold by Albon's Ltd in Longbridge Road, Barking. It lived the first 17 years of it's life in Seven Kings.

Could it have been despatched to the S&A garage in Ilford before being sent to Albon's?
RS6

Post by RS6 »

Pete wrote:...how many S&A showrooms were there...?
I know of ten: (1) Head Office on The Vale, Acton (2) High Road, Ilford (3) Finchley Road, Golders Green (4) Chalkwell Park, Southend (5) Bromley Road, Catford (6) High Road, Tottenham (7) Pinner Road, Harrow (8) Brighton Road, Sutton (9) Bensham Lane, Croydon and (10) London Road, Staines.

This is the Staines showroom (long since demolished)...

Ronnie
Location: N/E England Where the SAND is GOLDEN and the sea is always COLD!!

Post by Ronnie »

Hi! I purchased my mk3 from there(Staines) in 1971, but they had brought the car from their Catford branch, and I complained and made them sign for the delivery milage( I was not pleased at the grey lead oxide on the exhaust). 8-)
mellowyellow

Post by mellowyellow »

Great subject, and another 6 to add to the list , all called Morris house. 1/ Berkeley Square, London,W1 (West End showrooms) 2/ 125 High Street Croydon. 3/ Kingsland High Street, Dalston. 4/ 163-167 Stanstead Road, Forest Hill, London SE 23. 5/ 40 London road St Albans. 6/ 831-837 London Road, Westcliff, Essex.
The Golders Green branch in the Finchley Road had the phone no. SPEedwell 9711 .
I know that Catford, Croydon, Forest Hill and Sutton the buildings have all gone so it was nice to see the Ilford buiding still standing, i fear it may be the last ?
Tim
Etienne B.

Post by Etienne B. »

Evening chaps,

As an Architect myself, I am particularly sensible to those beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing - and letting me know the fantastic database of my eminent colleagues !! I must say that I didn't know their website !

The "now and then" comparison shows how you can alter the delicate proportions of a well designed "aerodynamic" building by very simple but very destroying action : ugly bow window "killing" the very well controlled "magnified" front entrance and generally speaking out of proportion aluminium window frames, painted a wrong (clear) colour, and out of scale banner of poor looking corrugated steel. Plus a stupid painting on the original concrete wall cladding. It is as simple as that ! And so common with early and mid 20th century buildings.

Don't you have a special protective scheme for those building ? We have here what we call the "20th century label" which is effectively a pre-listing for recent buildings - waiting for times to tell if really we have to go further with protecting schemes for those. We have added as recent buildings as some built in 2007 to protect them from speculative - and most often political - actions. Some garages are listed now, and not all are as beautiful as this one.

Now - and I am specialized in keeping - restoring - adapting nice buildings of the past - I am sure restoring the Ilford building wouldn't be too complicated. It seems all the mains of it are still there - trouble would be finding a new use I guess.

I am quite proud to have been able to save a small 1932 flat appartments building in Brussels a few years ago, but that really was thanks to a romantic young lady who was happy with having the three top floors converted to her new flat and renting the lower floors as nice "period" but totally updated flats for politicians coming to Brussels. Ahem ! Not every nice building in Brussels can be so lucky - neither any architect I must say !!
RS6

Post by RS6 »

Pete wrote:Great thread idea, let's see some more period dealership photos...
New thread started.
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

Found another picture of the Ilford S&A building today -- presumably as it is now

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5626002 ... 384!8i8192