Newton Commercial

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Re: Newton Commercial

Post by Andrew1967 »

My only comment on the OP question is that I would be a bit disappointed with the difference in the colour of the panel grey and seat grey.

The seat grey looks fine to me.

I'm sure the panel grey is the same colour as the seats on my 2006 made Newton interior in 9748KO .. I'll have a look.
swifty

Post by swifty »

As I said in previous post you can’t use the old and new version of the brocade , it will have a different colour . .... ken
1963 austin Cooper s mk1 1071
1966 Austin Cooper s mk1 1275
1968 Austin Cooper mk2 998
1962 Morris mini super 850
Porsche 997 turbo S
Ford transit van 280s
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

So, question is, were the panels and covers ordered at the same time :?

If they were, I'm sure a call to Johnny to explain the issue would result in a quick and satisfactory conclusion ;)
rolesyboy

Post by rolesyboy »

Agreed. If the items were bought at markedly different times its a bit unfair to expect an exact match given that Newton have recently released newer revised brocade. If comparing tone and colour with something original from 60 years ago and expectations are that Newtons will be an exact match then that does seem a bit of a stretch.
If both items were bought within a very short window of one another I am sure a call to Newton would help resolve the matter.
Rolesyboy
mnicoop63

Post by mnicoop63 »

I would have to look at my receipts to figure out exactly when the two were purchased. It was definitely a few months apart and like I previously said it was because I couldn't afford everything at once. I am not trying to "rag" on Newton Commercial. For years and years I have dreamt of having a new interior from them and can remember looking at their 2nd edition catalog I have from 1999. I was young and 387.26 for each the panel kit and the covers was a lot of money back then for me. I think that may have been in pounds as it doesn't say on the price sheet I have here with the old catalog. Anyhow, some 20+ years later I am building my Cooper and still wanted the brocade interior from Newton and that's what I bought. Unfortunately I happen to have bought the two kits separately and it happened to be when they changed over to a new brocade. When I opened the panel kit I thought they sent the wrong brocade and wanted to send it back. Unfortunately living in the US and shipping anything abroad is ridiculously expensive. It's a joke quite frankly. I then started reading on here about the brocade and the unbelievable amount of complaints along with supporters of it and Newton Commercial in general. The covers and panel kit are beautiful and the quality of material and craftsmanship is second to none. It's unfortunate I happen to have ordered the two separately and right when the material changed. I chose the square of material to compare from my brocade because that is what it looks like anywhere it hasn't seen light. Like for example inside the door fillets where its folded over looks exactly the same as the square from the back of the card. Yes it's been exposed to hot and cold temps along with different levels of humidity and it is nearly 60 years old but it hasn't been exposed to much if any light at all. I'm rather certain I am the first and only person to remove the door cards etc. I am fully aware that it hasn't been kept for 60 years sealed in a climate controlled dark room or something to that effect. I will say that it is drastically different from the faded side that has seen decades of light and I am ok with using it to compare to the two different brocades I have received. It is without question a lot closer of a match to the seats than panels. If you toss everything aside that I have said the bottom line is that the two new brocades that I have are different, they don't match and that is disappointing for me. I think if anyone were in my shoes that they would be disappointed too. It's a bummer and it isn't like the darn things are cheap. Unfortunately I didn't know there was a change coming to the brocade otherwise I would have waited to order everything. It is what it is and I will have to live with it I suppose. Me posting pictures was just to show the difference in the two and how they compare to what was in my Cooper. Maybe the blue brocade is in fact a better match to the original brocade. I don't know. My preference would be the brocade on the seats. If only I had ordered everything all at once darn it!! Do most people prefer the newer blue brocade?
swifty

Post by swifty »

I prefer the latest brocade . I had a roll of original brocade a few years ago that I sold on eBay . It was pretty much identical to latest blue shade of brocade so I think johnny has done a great job in making the brocade as accurate as possible . That said I can fully understand your predicament with old version and new version of brocade . Also agree how expensive a full trim set is now ! . ... ken
1963 austin Cooper s mk1 1071
1966 Austin Cooper s mk1 1275
1968 Austin Cooper mk2 998
1962 Morris mini super 850
Porsche 997 turbo S
Ford transit van 280s