Newton Commercial

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
1967coopers1972

Newton Commercial

Post by 1967coopers1972 »

Just had a new set of panels delivered from Newton Commercial supposed to be Cumulus Grey and Gold Brocade, I am very impressed with the workmanship but a little dissapointed with the colour it seems more blue than grey, in fact the reverse of the fabric is blue and not grey as I would have expected, just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same ?
swifty

Re: Newton Commercial

Post by swifty »

If you've just got the panels you will have by the sounds of it gold brocade panels of the latest spec . The cumulus grey will be on the seats and not the panel kit . .... ken
1963 austin Cooper s mk1 1071
1966 Austin Cooper s mk1 1275
1968 Austin Cooper mk2 998
1962 Morris mini super 850
Porsche 997 turbo S
Ford transit van 280s
1967coopers1972

Post by 1967coopers1972 »

Hi Ken
Thanks for the info.
mnicoop63

Post by mnicoop63 »

1967coopers1972 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:39 pm Just had a new set of panels delivered from Newton Commercial supposed to be Cumulus Grey and Gold Brocade, I am very impressed with the workmanship but a little dissapointed with the colour it seems more blue than grey, in fact the reverse of the fabric is blue and not grey as I would have expected, just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same ?
Are you referring to the color of the Gold Brocade being blue? I ordered seat covers that are tartan red and gold brocade maybe 6 or 7 months ago. I then ordered the panel kit a few moths later because I couldn't afford everything all at once. The quality is second to none but the brocade material does not match between the two. The panel kit is blue in comparison to the brocade on the seats which is grey. In my opinion the brocade on the seats is a better match to the original panels removed from my Cooper. I was a little disappointed that the brocade doesn't match. It's definitely noticeable.

Brian.
swifty

Post by swifty »

Brian that sounds to me that you have ended up with old and new newton brocade . The two used together in the same car will look odd . I think the latest brocade is the best yet by far . Maybe post a pic or two on the forum of what you have . ... As you can tell I'm a newton fan :D ... ken
1963 austin Cooper s mk1 1071
1966 Austin Cooper s mk1 1275
1968 Austin Cooper mk2 998
1962 Morris mini super 850
Porsche 997 turbo S
Ford transit van 280s
cpr1

Post by cpr1 »

Bought a panel set kit, which I received in early December the gold pattern is very similar to the original but the grey part has a blue tint, after all the complaints they received for the previous material, I expected something better ! :(
mnicoop63

Post by mnicoop63 »

swifty wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:16 pm Brian that sounds to me that you have ended up with old and new newton brocade . The two used together in the same car will look odd . I think the latest brocade is the best yet by far . Maybe post a pic or two on the forum of what you have . ... As you can tell I'm a newton fan :D ... ken
Here are a couple pictures. Comparing them is upsetting for me to be honest. Here is what you are looking at: The brocade on the right in each picture is from the seat covers which I just removed from the plastic. The little square piece is from the backside of one of my door cards and is still in great condition as it hasn't ever seen daylight. There was quite a bit of material bent over the edge so I was able to cut it off in order to show what my original brocade looked like. I think it is pretty obvious which one is the new brocade that all the rest of my interior is. it's on the left. Am I crazy for being disappointed?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Gents, perhaps if you aint happy send it back & claim your refund .. then go & buy your new Brocade Trim from another supplier ;)

The only complaint i have with the Newton Brocade is that it does not Smell as the BMC Original :lol:
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

+1 with Norman above. I had a looooooong chat with Mr Newton a couple of weeks ago re a suggestion I put to him regarding the difficulty some seem to have in removing his door cards after initial fitting.

I have to say that even being among the 10 most skeptical people in the known universe, I came away from our chatter totally impressed with the lengths he (and his 2i/c) go to to keep mini owners happy. He seems to bend over backwards to do what's necessary........ That said and as he says too, there's even small discrepancies between the original BMC/Leyland trim colours and patters too!

There, said my bit
Pete

Post by Pete »

Peter Laidler wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:33 am there's even small discrepancies between the original BMC/Leyland trim colours and patters too!
Quite hard to prove that with original brocade to be fair, you’d need different samples of NOS that’s been kept in a dark room to compare. I’ve personally never noticed different shades of original stuff other than through fading.

Fair to say though that modern product supplies change constantly , Newton’s no different and this happened when plain vinyl grade changed years ago from smooth to grainy, carpets change etc but the two shouldn’t be mixed from the supplier.