Battery box colour ..

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
360gts

Re: Battery box colour ..

Post by 360gts »

Peter Laidler wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:42 am Does this battery box paint apply to Mk2's too? I had a brand new late December Mk2 in Glacier white without black paint behind the grille and with a standard white painted battery box. Mind you, there wasn't much Glacier white anywhere else!

As for the battery box, no black or bitumen there either.
Peter, my 69 S doesn't have the black paint ...same as you stated.....I would hazard to think they may have stopped that practice with the introduction of the MK2....then again....!!!!
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Ok so this isn't what I expected. Firstly the black paint still has a slightly tacky feel to it, and the green seems to have been added for extra seam protection? But I didn't expect the rear of the box to have been missed out?

The general view of the car boot shows what a survivor this one is, so I am guessing that the dealership did this as the owner kept meticulous records that I have, including every petrol fill up!!

peu-boot-r.jpg

peu-battery-box.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »

I think the extra green seam sealant and the two felt pads may have been done by dealers as part of the leak avoidance maintenance bulletin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Now that answers both my recent questions - thank you ;-)
aga2

Post by aga2 »

Not seen that maintenance bulletin before, great stuff..amazing what we learn on this forum.