Battery box colour ..

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Battery box colour ..

Post by Andrew1967 »

Following the thread about the front panel behind the grille being painted black on early Cooper / S's, I've been advised that the battery box inside is also painted black ..

Can this be confirmed and if so, what dates ?

Also, what was the rationale behind this black paint on Cooper / S :? :?
Nick W

Re: Battery box colour ..

Post by Nick W »

I think it improves the look of the grille when blacked out behind. It had been done since the 50s at Longbridge...
I guess blacking the battery box was possibly done because the body colour may have been a bit thin due to difficulty painting in the confined boot space.
Up North in Sheffield
aga2

Post by aga2 »

interesting results..I have had a quick look Andrew, difficult to be completely sure..the first picture shows that the outside and front and back edges which have definitely been painted black, but in the second picture I'm not sure if the base and inside edge have ever been painted black

Almost as though only painted the edges you are likely to see once a battery is fitted..

Perhaps others with original battery compartments can confirm how much or how little is also painted
PXL_20210331 battery.jpg
PXL_20210331 battery1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Crossover '64 car with old sun visors but hydro fitted. Battery box and boot are as factory, and there is some green as well as black.

peu-boot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I'll have a check on YVJ this evening.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

Thanks for the answers thus far .. be interesting to hear what you find Mark and anyone else who can :)
hanlminiman
Location: North Cotswolds, close to Prescott & Shelsley Walsh hill climb venues by Stratford upon Avon UK and

Post by hanlminiman »

Mine's an reddy brown colour, like the colour of rust. :D :D
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

I would think it more likely a previous owner has painted the battery box black in an effort to keep rust at bay in a well known spot for corrosion, I think it unlikely BMC would go to that extra effort as cars were not sold as resistant to rusting at the time and car owners used to do DIY 'improvements' like that back in the day usually at weekends when the car came out the garage for its Sunday wash & polish! It might even have appeared in the 'Readers Tips' section of that weeks 'Car Mechanics' or 'Practical Motorist' magazines.
janerick3

Post by janerick3 »

My original battery box looks like it got the black paint treatment with the battery already installed; a hand-brushed black band, about 1 inch wide around the top, with runs down the side.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

janerick3 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:03 pm My original battery box looks like it got the black paint treatment with the battery already installed; a hand-brushed black band, about 1 inch wide around the top, with runs down the side.
So what would a black band brushed around the top of the box achieve in production unless it was extra seam sealer added after painting?