Black paint behind grill

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
coopersean

Re: Black paint behind grill

Post by coopersean »

Was it just Cooper's that had the black behind the grill's? Was wondering if the Super's had it also for example?
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Supers certainly did have black paint.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
tedmcedd

Post by tedmcedd »

My MK2 cooper had black paint behind the grill and on the stiffener. Looked to be brushed too.
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

tedmcedd wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:27 am My MK2 cooper had black paint behind the grill and on the stiffener. Looked to be brushed too.
Thinking about it, my Mk2 Cooper has black paint behind the grille Ed ... but then it is a monotone black car :lol:
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

Strange the amount of Mk2's with black behind the grille. I had a brand new late December Mk2 in Glacier white without black paint behind the grille. Mind you, there wasn't much Glacier white anywhere either!!!

As for the battery box, no black or bitumen there either. Just going to ramble on for a minute now........

I remember this because on day 1, knowing how the box furred up due to the electrolytic action close to the terminals, I took the battery off/out, put it into a thick polythene bag with the leads poking through the bag, closed the bag up, clamped it down, boot board on top - and that's how it stayed. Changed it to -ve earth at the same time. I wonder where CLK 131 H is now? I did see a maroon-ish Moggy Traveller CLK 134H in Abingdon a few years ago
Cammsjb

Post by Cammsjb »

Peter

No record of 131H on DVLA but there is for the Maroon Moggy!
janerick3

Post by janerick3 »

Odds are the brushed-on black paint behind the grille and inside the battery box (and anywhere else found on an A-prefixed body) was applied at the same time by an apprentice at some point during the assembly process at Longbridge. Not a job for a skilled laborer.