Lucas 700 Repro on EBAY - from INDIA

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
david1964

Lucas 700 Repro on EBAY - from INDIA

Post by david1964 »

Lucas Sealed Beam 7" Inch Headlamp

Anyone tried them ? or ordered them or own them ( from india on ebay )

Lucas Sealed Beam 7" Inch Headlamp light Conversion No Pilot RHD Classic Cars

Are they any good would you recommend them

Thanks David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mk1
Site Admin

Re: Lucas 700 Repro on EBAY - from INDIA

Post by mk1 »

No good for a Mini, they say there is no pilot (side) light.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
EMOKID

Post by EMOKID »

Just had a nosey and pilot light version also available. Fast turnaround from that manufacturer to customer request
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Not commenting on this particular item, but without exception everything I have bought from India via ebay, amazon, alibaba etc. has been of varying quality ranging from crap to dangerous.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Tim

Post by Tim »

They could be from Lucas TVS, the Indian joint venture of Lucas. They turned out Lucas 7" headlamps for years. The one on my Triumph says "Foreign Glass" instead of "Made in England".

One of the lights in my Traveller says "Made in Australia".

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian
dodge44

Post by dodge44 »

Unless they have re-tooled them since the set I fitted a few years ago was fine with the earlier 3-point adjuster, but sat too deep for the 2-point plus a spring type of mounting. Fortunately my car is early enough so employs the former but have a feeling these were really developed for the motorcycle market so no consideration was given to be more universal. Can say however that the silvering is holding up well and appears to be more resiliant than the previous Ring branded set.

Roger
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

They could be from Lucas TVS, the Indian joint venture of Lucas.

Are they the fine people who make the Indian toggle switches that fall to bits as soon as you flick them? :lol:
Mark F
General dogsbody.
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

dodge44 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:03 am Unless they have re-tooled them since the set I fitted a few years ago was fine with the earlier 3-point adjuster, but sat too deep for the 2-point plus a spring type of mounting. Fortunately my car is early enough so employs the former but have a feeling these were really developed for the motorcycle market so no consideration was given to be more universal. Can say however that the silvering is holding up well and appears to be more resiliant than the previous Ring branded set.

Roger
Aren't the bowls different for each type? Certainly there were specific bowls for prefocus lamps which were different to bowls for sealed beam lamps
Maddog

Post by Maddog »

I think that Graeme C is correct about the bowls. When I restored the BPF Lucas 700 assemblies for my 850 I found that the bowls and aiming setup were quite different to the later sealed beam units. My car started with one of each and I had to source parts to make up a matched set of 700 assemblies.

I was able to buy some NOS 700 Lucas reflectors from an Australian supplier who told me they came from South Africa in the 80s. They look lovely but the light output is pretty ordinary even with halogen inserts. I have a set of Cibie Z beams and modern H4 inserts ready to swap over this winter...
dodge44

Post by dodge44 »

GraemeC wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:30 am <snip>

Aren't the bowls different for each type? Certainly there were specific bowls for prefocus lamps which were different to bowls for sealed beam lamps
Indeed, the later bowl used by the sealed beam units is different and has a secondary bowl (Lucas part 513265) which sits between the headlamp unit and bowl and the Lucas 700 repro's shown in the image contained in the first post are presumably not intended for this application. That said, Lucas were not making halogen sets to replace the 7" sealed beam units when I bought mine but they may (?) do now so maybe worth making sure first before buying.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.