Workshop Security

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Spider

Re: Workshop Security

Post by Spider »

Fit a cover over the padlock, like the builders do on their shipping containers, then it's impossible to get bolt cutters or a grinding disc to it. For the window, have a solid cover you can fit to it from the inside, then they can't see what's inside and it will make it harder for them to come in that way.

One of the best security measures I think is keeping stuff out of sight, if they don't know it's there, they will keep walking. Bit hard with a shed or garage but sometimes with a bit of creating thinking, it could be hidden from view.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Exminiman wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:56 am But want to fit a window, was going to fit bars, but while in local tool shop chatting to owner, he shared that he gets local Ne'er-do-wells in buying thin cutting disks for their battery disk cutters... He suspects they are used to break in to sheds, cut locks etc.....
I think the Ne'er-do-wells are currently buying thin cutting disks for their battery disk cutters to help them remove catalytic converters quickly and efficiently from parked cars.....especially hybrid Toyotas, Lexus and Hondas.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/feat ... rter-theft
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Also if your Garage/Workshop can be seen from the road by passers by, wherever possible try to work inside with your garage door shut.
goff

Post by goff »

A friend of mine has a showroom and works on industrial estate , if someone breaks in !!! the alarm system pelts out some sort of smoke instantly , so the bastards cannot see anything ,fit a master blaster also , you can hear one of those a mile away .

Pharmacist broke into , the dirty scumbag drug dealers broke through the pitched ROOF tiles for the drugs , they had to fit quare reinforcing mesh under the tiles
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

One approach is to pretend you are the c-.t who is breaking in.
What would put you off?
Not very much as you are clever enough to play the system.
Thus see the last paragraph!

A friend had a CCTV system, and following a to-his-mobile-sent alarm, was real time watching the yuffs who had broke into his lock up.
Quite simply they had hoodies on!
He then set off the alarm manually, and they looked around and finally decided to saunter off to the pub amid the noise knowing they could casually walk there at their leisure because they could not be identified.

What we educated employed folk must remember is that we are privileged to the extent that we have shot ourselves in the foot by forbidding ourselves the satisfaction of getting our 'cousins' to knee-cap the sh%ts or removing their ability to reproduce.
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

What about fitting HOLLOW bars to the windows, then insert hardened steel bars INSIDE the hollow bars, Once the toe-rags start to get through the seemingly hollow bars, the cutter gets to the free running internal bar. That starts rotating and he can try to cut until the cows come home, but the internal bar will just rotate ...... and rotate..... and rotate until the cows come home!
InnoCooperExport

Post by InnoCooperExport »

I like that Peter!

Our workshop is on private property, behind a locked fence, inside a locked shed, with padlocks on the door behind where the cars are kept. Thankfully break-ins for cars aren't as prevalent here in NL as they seem to be in the UK. That said all our cars have hidden immobilisers in them, failing that most of the buggers who would break in wouldn't know how to start one, nevermind getting it rolling with a non-synchro'd first :lol:
Of course I know what a dipstick is, you get called something often enough you look it up!
swifty

Post by swifty »

I'm fortunate to have a 70ft workshop in my back garden which is behind two sets of security gates . I would fill me with dread to have a workshop away from home filled with all my tools and a number of valuable cars ... ...ken
1963 austin Cooper s mk1 1071
1966 Austin Cooper s mk1 1275
1968 Austin Cooper mk2 998
1962 Morris mini super 850
Porsche 997 turbo S
Ford transit van 280s
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

If it's the actual car that at risk, then my car is chained and locked to a ring bolt in the garage floor.
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

mab01uk wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:51 pm
Exminiman wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:56 am But want to fit a window, was going to fit bars, but while in local tool shop chatting to owner, he shared that he gets local Ne'er-do-wells in buying thin cutting disks for their battery disk cutters... He suspects they are used to break in to sheds, cut locks etc.....
I think the Ne'er-do-wells are currently buying thin cutting disks for their battery disk cutters to help them remove catalytic converters quickly and efficiently from parked cars.....especially hybrid Toyotas, Lexus and Hondas.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/feat ... rter-theft
The cat on my old BMW daily is worth over £500. So I've ordered a snide £60 repro to replace it - it's absolutely worthless as scrap.