Workshop Security

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Exminiman

Workshop Security

Post by Exminiman »

Probably getting a bit paranoid about workshop security......fitted an alarm, fancy expensive lock...........

But want to fit a window, was going to fit bars, but while in local tool shop chatting to owner, he shared that he gets local Ne'er-do-wells in buying thin cutting disks for their battery disk cutters... He suspects they are used to break in to sheds, cut locks etc.....

10 million key combinations lock seems a bit pointless now !

Soo, anyone got suggestions for metal bars or locks that are resistant to thin cutting disks, I did wonder about case hardening, but seems a but of a faff, is there a metal that these disks are not good at cutting ?

We use these disks on stainless steel at work ( which obviously contains Chrome) and they cut like butter...... :?
trevorhp

Re: Workshop Security

Post by trevorhp »

Double glazing slows them down especially with wired or laminated glass
"Ambition: the first step on the road to disappointment" Homer. J. Simpson
"Disappointment: the first step on the road to enlightenment" Buddha
"Enlightenment: the first step on the road to ambition" Dalai Lama
KDK 320F
HDK 443E
TFD 47G
PKV 375
I unidentified Ex Race Cooper S Bodyshell
swifty

Post by swifty »

A alarm that sends a tex or calls your phone . Handy if they’ve got through everything else . .. Ken
1963 austin Cooper s mk1 1071
1966 Austin Cooper s mk1 1275
1968 Austin Cooper mk2 998
1962 Morris mini super 850
Porsche 997 turbo S
Ford transit van 280s
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

Might I suggest that you don't fit a window. What they can't see, they can't plan on nickin' You could just leave one of those savage Budweiser dogs in the garage overnight. That'll give em a shock!

Oooops, meant to say ROTweiler dogs. Got my Budweisers and Rotweilers mixed up!
Last edited by Peter Laidler on Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

swifty wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:55 pm A alarm that sends a tex or calls your phone . Handy if they’ve got through everything else . .. Ken
Thanks, but think got that bit sorted got this one of Amazon, think it was about £50
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Apart from having to replace the batteries, all seems surprisingly good so far
JohnA
Location: Up north where men are men and sheep are frightened

Post by JohnA »

240 volts
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

What about that Frosted Wired Glass that was common to be seen in 1930 to 1960,ish built Public Toilets .. even when some thug had tried to bust it with a Brick that type of glass took the impact & then stayed in place smashed up for donkey years later because the Council was not that bothered to replace it .. yes not much as changed since the good old 60,s. ;)
miniminor

Post by miniminor »

Had alarm and cctv installed to my garage when we had house built. Purposely didn't install any windows. If some b'stard wants to break in they will, just have to make it less appealing to do so.
"Get the wheels in line, Get the wheels in line with it! ..... and then slam your brakes on or we'll be in the cabin ! "

1963 Morris Mini Minor Superdeluxe
2014 Freelander 2 SD4
jay weinstein

Post by jay weinstein »

I've got a RoboDog. It's a motion detector that activates a loud
barking dog sound.
Daz1968

Post by Daz1968 »

On my garage I put padlocks through the runners inside to prevent up and over door being forced from outside, then as my side door opens outwards I am planning to fit a gate inside the door but keep outer door alarmed, then if they force outer door they have a gate to cut through while the alarm is going off.if door opens other way the gate could be alarmed to get same effect
I have no windows.