Bangers and cash revisited

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
jakethepeg

Bangers and cash revisited

Post by jakethepeg »

I have just purchased a dongle to turn my TV smart, and have been binge watching!! i watched the episode with the Cooper S, does any body know what is happening to it? Also, although it was described as a 1275, it had the vertical oil cooler. Does that make it a 1071, and hence rarer/more valuable. Forgive me if this has already been discussed to death:)
Current vehicles
1973 Citroen DS 23 Pallas
Vauxhall Vivitar day van
1965 Mini 1000
1972 Minivan
66 Mini pick up sold
1969 Moke sold
1960 Wolseley 6/99 sold
Ford Duetto Camper sold
Peugeot Boxer motorhome sold
mk1
Site Admin

Re: Bangers and cash revisited

Post by mk1 »

It is / was a 1275, but a very early one. The shell was restored by a mate of mine for a gentleman in the North east. Not a Mini fan, but a car fan. He liked the car because it was very, very original.

The shell was welded & then went for blasting, then it went back for more welding.

I don't know what stage it is at now.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
jakethepeg

Post by jakethepeg »

Amazing, i would have thought it was beyond redemption! Wonder how much of the original was left. I have an original 1960 shell that does not require any welding which would be ideal for a project like that, but i will probably not be using, it as I am moving country as soon as covid allows :)
Current vehicles
1973 Citroen DS 23 Pallas
Vauxhall Vivitar day van
1965 Mini 1000
1972 Minivan
66 Mini pick up sold
1969 Moke sold
1960 Wolseley 6/99 sold
Ford Duetto Camper sold
Peugeot Boxer motorhome sold
agricola

Post by agricola »

Triggers Broom Mark?
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

It is the original shell. OK, a lot has been replaced due to rot, but it IS the shell it left the factory with. A lot of the other bits were in excellent condition, despite the rot situation. As a very, very early dry, single tank 1275 S it will always be an interesting car & is certainly worth saving.

A little bird tells me that once again the owner is a member on here, but sadly due to internet smart arses adverse comments (elsewhere) about his project he doesn't choose to comment.

Sad, as it is a really interesting car & it is great that it is being saved, not just decanted into a donor 850, like so many others.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
steve1071

Post by steve1071 »

Well said, Mark.

The owner should be applauded for taking the much harder option of saving the cars shell.

It would be great to see the car alongside Andrews similar aged surf blue car.

:)
Last edited by steve1071 on Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

And we've seen a photographic track record of Andy's......... Would be good to see the two restorations side-by-side. I wouldn't mind betting that if Bangers and Cash man is a forumer, he's been having a few sneak previews of Andy's too
Old English White

Post by Old English White »

steve1071 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:05 pm Well said, Mark.

The owner should be applauded for taking the much harder option of saving the car shell.

It would be great to see the car alongside Andrews similar aged surf blue car.

:)
I agree completely. I would love to read a restoration thread. Almost everybody here has enjoyed following Andrews remarkable rescue of his similar car :) I don't understand why anybody would be negative about such an undertaking :?
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I believe that the owner of the bangers & Cash car has indeed taken encouragement from Andy's thread.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
issi

Post by issi »

that’s a great effort to save as much as possible of the original body shell!