Just got my 61 mini van back almost.....

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Justonemorebike

Re: Just got my 61 mini van back almost.....

Post by Justonemorebike »

Something that I never fixed and don't think the owners In between have done is sort the turning circle out it went bigger with the metro disc conversion, not sure if this was an incompatibility with the rack stops or because of the wider track? Anyone had this when doing the disc conversion?
Justonemorebike

IMG_20210217_040850980-1024x768.jpg
This is how is looked when I gave it away back in the 90's

I will post it's current condition when I manage to collect it later in the year covid permitting.
24 years mostly outside has not been kind to it
currently looking pretty ruff any recommendations on the best door skin supplier?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Justonemorebike

Well finally got a look at it now
IMG_20210221_155243188-1024x768.jpg
IMG_20210221_155548862-1024x768.jpg
Bottom of doors and quite a bit of rot but the floor I did many years ago seems to be holding up well
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old English White

Post by Old English White »

That still looks a pretty sound base :)
Justonemorebike

Yes, metal is not too bad. Engine and brakes tyres need full over haul.

This is my current plan opinions advice please.

Plan is refurbish the original gear box. engine will be standard spec 850 or 998 depending on which is better.

Remove the metro brakes an fit twin piston front drum brakes single piston ones can go in a box for historical types.

Fit standard 3.5 inch by 10 inch wheels I only seem to be able to find 4 ply tyres or falcon tyres with bad ratings any ideas ?

Does anyone know the original colour of the engines fitted to vans was it grey or green?

Inside all back to standard possibly using the original material refurbished.
Old English White

Post by Old English White »

Great plan :) .
In my opinion an 850 (or 1000) engine on the original box will be fine.
The twin leading shoe drum brakes (with decent linings) will be perfectly OK for your purposes.
You'll then be able to fit standard wheels without those arches!
I have read poor reviews on the Falken tyres but I had them on my last 850 and found them perfectly OK for normal use.
I would have thought the engines used in the van were painted green the same as the cars - unless anybody knows different? That is what I would do.
We're all excited to see your progress. It is a great van. Two-a-penny in my youth but SO rare now :)
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Justonemorebike wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:29 pm Does anyone know the original colour of the engines fitted to vans was it grey or green?
BMC Engine Green :-
British Standard Middle Bronze Green (BS 223)
http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.u ... colour.htm

Soon after the BL takeover in early 1970's engines were painted black, until the arrival of the A+ in the 1980's.