Just got my 61 mini van back almost.....

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Justonemorebike

Just got my 61 mini van back almost.....

Post by Justonemorebike »

So after 24 years I am due to get this back it's had a few modifications in addition to the ones I did so want to see what the current thoughts are on the following.

It needs a full restoration "again" so at the moment anything goes

The original brakes were frightening even back in the 90's so I put metro disc brakes and 12" mini lite wheels on they worked ok but messed the front rear track etc but would like the option of putting 10" wheels back on so are the small 10" wheel disk brakes any good any supplier recommendations?

I have found a supplier of the card interior anyone know the paint colour code for the brown colour used back then.

I don't intend to sell the car ( or give it away like last time) but would like to restore it to usable easiest to sell condition just incase. So would an interior colour affect value or should I stay standard?
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Re: Just got my 61 mini van back almost.....

Post by Andrew1967 »

I don't know what the actual code is, but when I put a new card interior into my pick up I spent a long time trying to find a suitable colour and did come up with something pretty close to the correct colour ..

Think I have a aerosol tin or two still in the garage .. will have a look

If you want to consider a resale value .. stay standard. My sale nearly fell through because I made a 75 pick up look more like a 60's. If you want to keep it, do it as you please ;)

Brakes .. I run my '60 on the original single leading shoe set up and they are adequate and I just am very aware of what is around me and allow more braking time. If you want discs, go 7.5" Cooper S with a servo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Twin Leading Shoe Drum Brakes are efficient enough to give Driver stopping confidence if you want to keep Drum Brakes.
All depends on what Power you are intending to have
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

What a lovely van, I am very jealous. There are vinyl coat people who can match to a sample, I have never used them, but it is certainly possible.

As has already been said, all one colour is preferable as far as resale is concerned, but it's your van, you should do what you think is best.

S Disks will go under 10" wheels, these are great brakes, but once again a standard option would be TLS drums. These would be my preference on a car like this.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Justonemorebike

The original brakes were single leading shoe all round truly scary even in top condition. It would have been crashed if I had not changed it as almost all cars in the 90's could stop faster than it. Especially when I had it fully loaded. I have the original brakes so they can stay in a box with the car. I like the idea of the small disks under standard wheels. Easy enough to change back.

Do you need to use rear wheel spacers ( or drums with integrated spacers on the back)with the small discs?

I know I could manage with drums but....I am over that...also modern shoes don't seem to work as well as the old asbestos ones ( found this in a old Landover)

I need to work out which engine to put in it. ( I got the engine I overhauled back separately no idea of current condition) I have decided it's getting the original pudding spoon gear box though.

Probably a standard 850 or 998 engine with improved manifold so nothing too powerful. I thought about modifying it but I suspect genuine MK1 flat roof vans are a bit too rare for that.
Last edited by Justonemorebike on Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

I think we need pictures!

Engine wise, I have both an early 998 and an early 850 available if you decided to go that route and need one - but they're in the NW of England
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

Keep it standard - within reason. Fit original size engine and twin leading shoe drums BUT keep a set of the original SL shoe brakes in a box in case your future buyer really wants them or (as they tend to do.....) tries to use the non originality as a lever to get the price down. Original is always best
Justonemorebike

Yes Andrew that's the colour yours looks very nice.

I need to collect it so will post pictures when I do I have some somewhere of when I first had it, I collected the engine at the weekend so will work on that first.

Does anyone have a source of the rubber mat that came with the vans or even a picture? Wondering if I could make something?
miniminor

Post by miniminor »

Ha yes the sls drums make every journey an adventure. Bit like stopping a bulk oil tanker 😲
Would love a set of S discs but don't want to take away originality of my '63 Miniminor.
"Get the wheels in line, Get the wheels in line with it! ..... and then slam your brakes on or we'll be in the cabin ! "

1963 Morris Mini Minor Superdeluxe
2014 Freelander 2 SD4
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Justonemorebike wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:07 pm The original brakes were single leading shoe all round truly scary even in top condition. It would have been crashed if I had not changed it as almost all cars in the 90's could stop faster than it. Especially when I had it fully loaded. I have the original brakes so they can stay in a box with the car. I like the idea of the small disks under standard wheels. Easy enough to change back.

Do you need to use rear wheel spacers ( or drums with integrated spacers on the back)with the small discs?

I know I could manage with drums but....I am over that...also modern shoes don't seem to work as well as the old asbestos ones ( found this in a old Landover)

I need to work out which engine to put in it. ( I got the engine I overhauled back separately no idea of current condition) I have decided it's getting the original pudding spoon gear box though.

Probably a standard 850 or 998 engine with improved manifold so nothing too powerful. I thought about modifying it but I suspect genuine MK1 flat roof vans are a bit too rare for that.
I agree, if you are going to drive it in modern traffic fit S discs and a servo, safety is far more important than originality and can be easily reversed if a future owner wishes, especially when surrounded by distracted drivers in SUV's....a classic Mini is never going to come out of an impact with a modern vehicle well.
Rear drums with built in spacers match the S discs front track increase and were used on all later Minis with discs. (10" & 12" wheels).