Conversion Records at John Cooper Garages

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
mab01uk

Re: Conversion Records at John Cooper Garages

Post by mab01uk »

mk1 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:14 pm TBH, I am greatly surprised that he wasn't approached by the MCR with a view to preserving these records for future study.
Me too, as by 2006 the Rover Cooper was fully accepted as an important part of the classic Mini Cooper history within the MCR and the closing of John Cooper Garage was widely publicised at the time and I think Michael Cooper had replaced his late father as an Honorary member of the club by that time. Surprised some enthusiasts weren't outside rummaging through the skips for souvenirs, perhaps someone did walk off with the records and has yet to put them on ebay! :lol: I am still a member of the MCR so will see what i can find out.....
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

mab01uk wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:34 pmMichael Cooper is now Honorary President of the 'Mini Cooper Register' and I believe sold the 'John Cooper Works' brand to BMW when he closed the 'John Cooper Garage' in 2006 but not sure why the records from his fathers business were allowed to go in a skip at that time.
Doesn't give a toss I suspect.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

"Unique ultra low mileage 1986 Austin Mini 1275 John Cooper Prototype. It is in truly outstanding condition throughout and has only travelled just over 2800 MILES from new £39,950.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-mot ... ios_social

nick@dunsdale

Post by nick@dunsdale »

I seem to remember hearing that rover pre BMW had many many hand written stock ledgers for a company that size even 26 years ago it beggars belief that there was so much typed/written records.

Leads me to assume that not many years later the records at John Cooper garages could also have been in mainly hard copies
The best repairs go un-noticed
Supersonic

Post by Supersonic »

Costafortune wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:02 pm
mab01uk wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:34 pmMichael Cooper is now Honorary President of the 'Mini Cooper Register' and I believe sold the 'John Cooper Works' brand to BMW when he closed the 'John Cooper Garage' in 2006 but not sure why the records from his fathers business were allowed to go in a skip at that time.
Doesn't give a toss I suspect.
I’m with you on this one mate,

Michael didn’t give a toss when it was not economically cost-effective to continue the business. When the MCR club started to realise that there was big money to be made from punters with Rover Coopers and BMW Minis, all of a sudden, Michael Cooper suddenly finds great interest in the Cooper legacy, funny old world. It is all about money with some people and the MCR and Michael Cooper are good examples with much regret I have to say. :(

Alan
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

To anyone even thinking about paying even one penny over the odds for a JC garage or any other JC conversion over and above a standard off the shelf Rover version, then rember the saying CAVEAT EMPTOR. It just seems to me that the JC paper trials and ID plates such as they are, are a total waste of time and certainly wouldn't stand up to any kind of close scrutiny. Unlike the real McCoys. It always seemed to me that all these 'specials' that were turned out were a perfect example of that other well known phrase or saying. '.....flogging a dead horse!'

Well done John Parnell for lifting the lid I say!