History of RYL775E

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
colonel mustard

History of RYL775E

Post by colonel mustard »

Hi All,
I have decided to start finding out some more history on my mini cooper whilst I have a bit more time on my hands.
What I do know is:
The car has a heritage cert and a few photographs from the past with MOT certs back to the mid 90’s. I have found out that a Mr Robert (Bill) Fry (Newbury) owned a few Mini Coopers and RYL775E being one of them but no paperwork available, not sure if he is known to anyone here on this forum?
I am trying to pull together some more history, previous owners and the like!.
What I do know:
It is a 998 Austin Mini Cooper
Build date – May 1967
Dispatch date – June 1967
Dealer – Kennings Limited - London
MOT certs dating from 1996 (28k miles) to 2001 (31k miles)
I have also tried contacting Kennings Archive but with no luck!!.
The car also won 'best in class' at a Aston Park 2000 - Birmingham Mini Owners Club - again I have contacted but nothing.
Any help and advise would be gratefully received on how to gain more historical information.
PS/ I have tried the DVLA who were as much use as a chocolate fire guard!
I have attached a photograph of the car from the mid 90's as reference.
Any help would be appreciated.
TIA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mk1
Site Admin

Re: History of RYL775E

Post by mk1 »

The DVLA information from historical records Dept was virtually eliminated when the Data Pretection Act came in. Before then, they were very happy to send you a full history trace for £5.

This was a brilliant service, but it is now illegal.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
roymck

Post by roymck »

mk1 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:07 pm The DVLA information from historical records Dept was virtually eliminated when the Data Pretection Act came in. Before then, they were very happy to send you a full history trace for £5.

This was a brilliant service, but it is now illegal.
There quite happy to sell my name and address off to dodgy parking companies though , and I never gave them permission !

Friend of mine got round it be stating he had found a piece of valuable jewellery in his car tucked down behind the seats and he needed a list of previous owners to reunite the valuable item , it worked for him .
8662 FN Austin Mini

Yes I know it’s not original

My wife says I don’t listen to her or something like that !
whistler

Post by whistler »

If you contact the archives department of the original council that first registered the car they might help with details of the first owner. Back then the registering council held all the records before DVLA forced them to send them to Swansea.
I did that for my mk1 which was first registered by Swindon Council Motor Taxation dept.
MrNoo

Post by MrNoo »

whistler wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:05 pm If you contact the archives department of the original council that first registered the car they might help with details of the first owner. Back then the registering council held all the records before DVLA forced them to send them to Swansea.
I did that for my mk1 which was first registered by Swindon Council Motor Taxation dept.
Yes, not all council's have these records though unfortunately but certainly worth a try!! We had issues with a Classic Ferguson T20 that my grandfather bought new in 1948, I still have it and wanted a V5 for it but despite having the correct engine No and Chassis No and reg they wouldnt give me a V5, I even have pictures of when it arrived on farm along with his accounts book showing what it cost etc. I went down the Council records route but for some reason they didnt keep records of tractors registered. Still no further forward.
coopertim
Location: In the garage spending far more time and money than my wife agreed to! Lincolnshire UK

Post by coopertim »

Maybe Steve Entwistle (Smoke Grey) of this parish might be able to help? He is now the Mk1 Cooper registrar in the MCR and also has a huge knowledge of cars. Maybe it’s on the register of the MCR? Worth a try?

Tim
colonel mustard

Morning all,
Many thanks for your responses.
I did look into contacting the local council for registration details but all I have is Kennings Limited, London NW1 that is noted on the heritage cert. Would anyone have any information on how to gain or request details from this lead?
As mentioned before, DVLA form was filled out and took 6months to come back with nothing :(
I have also contacted Steve and there appears to be nothing noted on the register :(
Any other leads worth trying?
Thanks again.
Hipwell

Post by Hipwell »

As you say, it was registered in London (YL), unfortunately they no longer have the records.

https://kitheadtrust.org.uk/trace-a-registration-mark
Simon776

History of RYL775E

Post by Simon776 »

As you say, it was registered in London (YL), unfortunately they no longer have the records.
Specifically it was registered in London (North East) and Car Mart did have an outlet in Edmonton (N9) but equally likely to have been sold by one of the forty or so smaller Austin dealerships in the area that Car Mart could have supplied.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
colonel mustard

Thanks All
I had completed a V888 and submitted to the DVLA to which they did not want to issue any information.
I have since tried speaking to Enfield archives but they have referred me back to the DVLA :(
So....
Really the only hope is the contact in Newbury :(